Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
139 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 138

CartRich, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

What is the correct air cleaner assembly for 23 series
Home away from home
Home away from home

Deskdriver
See User information
I have lots of questions but one that I need answered so I can get '49 / 23 series registered. When I got the car the air filter assembly is missing. Contacted a few on line dealers in parts. 1 company doesn't have any and the other has 1 for $275 and oil bath type. Was asked "Oil bath or dry?"

I have seen a few different ones, oil bath and dry. So which one is correct for Standard 8? There are a few junk dealers that offered ones at lower prices. Just not sure which one is correct. Or, should I just buy a K & N and worry about this later.

Thanks for the advice!
B

Posted on: 2014/9/17 11:30
[url=http://packardinf
 Top  Print 

Re: What is the correct air cleaner assembly for 23 series
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Please, the model is an "Eight", not a "Standard Eight". The original equipment air filter for an Eight was an oil mesh, not an oil bath though the oil bath was available as an option. If you manage to find the build slip over the glove box, the option code for an oil bath filter was OB.

Posted on: 2014/9/17 12:46
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Deskdriver
See User information
Thank you for your clarifications.

Posted on: 2014/9/18 8:59
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
There's a picture of the motor in the plate part of the 23 rd series manual(on this site) that shows the air cleaner. I think I even posted pix of mine after restoration last year for someone. It's an AC Delco dry type for the 2 bbl Carter carbs and is common to alot of early straight eights, so don't get sucked in for a "Packard" part. Packard didn't make air cleaners or alot of other common parts; brakes etc..
The wet type is kinda duck billed looking and extends across the motor.

Posted on: 2014/9/18 20:34
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Deskdriver
See User information
Thanks Fish'N Jim,
Most helpful, found the picture you are speaking of. I have located a used dry filter and waiting a response from the seller. Also had a few want to sell me "Other" filter from one of the parts houses.

Thank you again.
B.

Posted on: 2014/9/19 15:05
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved