Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
97 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 95

bertus cardinaal, westernshrouds, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

53 Convertible Coupe Interior
Just popping in
Just popping in

Martin
See User information
I'm starting to put the interior of the convertible back together. It appears that I am missing a panel that goes between the rear seat back and the trunk. Does anyone know if this was an upholstered piece?

Attach file:

jpg  (73.24 KB)
2541_541cb780c097e.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2014/9/19 18:09
 Top  Print 

Re: 53 Convertible Coupe Interior
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
my 53 convertible had a paper board material that was colored on the trunk side, i believe it was body color-car had the color changed so don't know for sure. dell

Posted on: 2014/9/19 19:15

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
My 51 Club Sedan (- not Convertible) had a paper-board partition which was painted black (- not the car colour). Hope this helps a little.

The partition had to be flexible in the case of my Club Sedan, as a single piece of board can be bent slightly to get it in and out of the car. I tried a solid (thin plywood) replacement but I couldn't get it in/out. Same problem might exist for convertibles-?

Posted on: 2014/9/19 21:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
Not a converible either, but I had the same thing as Larry - sort of a masonite-like material (like pegboard material). I could not tell what color it had been originally, as it was so completely dirty that it was just road dust color. I'll probably paint the rear side to match the trunk interior when I make a new panel.

Posted on: 2014/9/19 21:56
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The 47 and 56 is also cardboard and I believe all had similar. Packard didn't seem to spend a lot of time or money on the trunk area. I used a large piece of water resistant door panel cardboard to make a new one piece replacement for the 47. The original had an embossed somewhat shiny surface sort of like a fine pinpoint stipple facing the trunk. If the 53 is similar you might be able to duplicate that with some sort of paint technique.

56 cardboard has a printed pattern which matches the trunk mat and side material.

Posted on: 2014/9/19 22:07
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Martin
See User information
Thanks to all. I'll craft something out of masonite, maybe, and paint it.

Posted on: 2014/9/20 12:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Does the panel fit on the passenger compartment inside of the trunk compartment bracing or in the trunk compartment side? My 1955 Clipper sedan has a panel attached to that bracing, but it is on the trunk side and covers up the bracing.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/9/20 18:01
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Martin
See User information
Interesting, JW. The only reason I suspected a panel on the interior side of the trunk bracing was because there were two upholstery screws remaining in the bracing sheet metal. What I've done is buy a 3/16" thick 2x4' panel of blackboard material from Home Depot. Seems to be made of pressed paper, and a bit thicker than necessary, but it will do. However, now I'll have to give some thought to what goes on the trunk side, and whether the bare bracing metal would be behind the back seat. Hmmm.

Attach file:

jpg  (76.27 KB)
2541_541e121c39897.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2014/9/20 18:49
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
The interior on my 1954 Convertible was completely restored by the prior owner, so I really don't know how the factory finished that area originally. What I have is a piece of rather thin cardboard with a matte black finish attached to the back of the rear seat seatback. When the seatback is removed, there is nothing on either side of the trunk bracing. I would recommend that you leave yours this way also. If your trunk lock mechanism fails and the trunk lid won't open as mine did, you have to remove the seatback and loosen the trunk lock striker bolts using a socket and about 4 feet of socket extensions to reach those bolts from the back seat area. There is no other way to open the trunk under those circumstances. Any trim panels you would install on either side of the bracing would have to be removed or punched through for access to the striker bolts.

Posted on: 2014/9/22 0:27
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved