Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
99 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 98

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Re: What next? Starter?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Sounds like it's just not getting enough gas to me. After cranking like in the video, if you look down into the Carb. and go full open with the key off and choke wide open (for a good view) do you see gas squirting into the throat of the Carb? Also I would would remove the filter and install a small gas tank with good fresh gas, just to see if you can get it running.
Ross, I have also done that many of times but I would usually prefer someone pushing me as to be pulled. But that was when I lived in the country and lots of free space and no traffic to worry about. ( Ah the Good Old Days!)
Wes

Posted on: 2016/8/8 9:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
After cranking the engine, then looking down the throat of the carb, there should NOT be any gas flowing or squirting. If that were so then when the car was just sitting gas would flow until the tank is empty.

Gas should only squirt when the gas pedal is depressed quickly either when running or not. That is from the accelerator pump circuit.

Posted on: 2016/8/8 10:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
May have washed down cylinder walls with gasoline and lost much compression in the many failed attempts to start the engine.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2016/8/8 10:31
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Fred I think you misunderstood me, I said " if you look down into the Carb. and go full open with the key off and choke wide open", or maybe I wasn't clear. Go full open same as pushing the gas pedal down, or working the linkage at the carb. If you see gas squirt out than that would mean the carb still had plenty of gas and wasn't being starved of gas. So sorry if I wasn't clear enough, it's not that easy to help out when a lot of the time you know what your looking at and trying to tell somebody else what to look you.
Also I know there are times when things get miss quoted.
Thanks for keeping me on the right track.
Also is the choke fully close, using the switch on the carb to turn the engine over there are two positions to look for first is just pushing on the pedal or linkage just far enough to crank the engine over should keep the choke closed allowing more gas to be pulled in (for a richer mix), second is with the pedal to the floor or the linkage to the stop opens the choke ( this is a case where an engine is flooded and you don't need that rich of a mixture).
I hope this helps. Because it sounds like your on the edge of getting this car running.
Wes

Posted on: 2016/8/8 18:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
VancouverCanuck, Have you got it running? It sounds like your on the verge of getting it started. As you crank is the choke closed? It just sounds like to me it is not getting enough gas.
Well good luck!
Wes

Posted on: 2016/8/17 9:07
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved