Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 156

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1947 'Econo Drive' operation-
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Michael Sullivan
See User information
1947 2106- Looking for information regarding operation of the 'econo drive' as well as location of the 'lockout knob' mentioned in the owner's manual. Is it the bakelite know inderneath the dash, between the radio and steering column? Thanks, Baltimore472106

Posted on: 2014/9/22 12:30
 Top  Print 

Re: 1947 'Econo Drive' operation-
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you have a stock 47 car it will have the R9 OD. Instructions were kind of sparse in the 47 manual but gave the basics. They are slightly more detailed in the first version 48 22nd series manual along with photos. The first production 22nd series cars used the same R9 OD unit. Here is an excerpt from that manual showing the location of the lockout knob and basic instructions. The signal light in the 47 is in the speedo between the 6 and 7 numerals rather than below the speedo as the instructions mention for the 48. Otherwise, operation is the same.

If your car had the R11 retrofitted as some cars had done if a problem happened with the R9, then operation is almost the same except there is no longer a signal light. R11 drivers judge by speed alone when the OD is ready to engage. You can tell which unit your car has by checking the engine side of firewall, drivers side, for the type of OD relay. R9 has a squarish black box about midway down just above steering column with 6 wire terminals while the R11 is a smaller rectangular box with a fuse on the side and only 4 terminals.

There is a service training manual for the R9 available on site for download. It was printed for mechanics so very little info on operation & probably more detailed than you are looking for.http://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/EconoDriveTrainingBook.pdf

Attach file:

jpg  (113.64 KB)
209_5420617edd6dc.jpg 1076X916 px

Posted on: 2014/9/22 12:51
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Michael(Baltimore472106),
to PackardInfo and I invite you to include your '47 2106 in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo.

Posted on: 2014/9/22 13:56
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Michael Sullivan
See User information
Terrific, thank you very much!

Posted on: 2014/9/23 6:53
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Michael Sullivan
See User information
I made a mistake in registering my car and need to change it to '2122' as it is a 1947 CS Clipper 2106. My apologies, but I can't figure out how to do this.

Posted on: 2014/9/23 12:20
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Michael Sullivan
See User information
Question: my lockout know is currently pulled out- meaning no OD- i would like to engage the OD- do i simply engage the clutch and push it forward? Does the car need to be moving? I appreciate any advise you have. Mike in Baltimore.

Posted on: 2014/9/23 12:30
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
i would like to engage the OD- do i simply engage the clutch and push it forward? Does the car need to be moving?

Just read the instructions HH56 posted above from the owner's manual.

Posted on: 2014/9/23 13:36
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not a bad idea to push the clutch in whenever you move any linkage related to trans whether the car is stopped or not.. That way the gears are free to rotate slightly if the car is still or no torque is being transmitted if the car is moving.

Not knowing what kind of condition your car is in it is kind of hard to give any good advice. If the car has been driven regularly then chances are everything is at least free. If the OD is mechanically sound you should have some luck going into OD or at least an indication it wants to go in.

If the car has been sitting for a long period use some care when moving and trying things for first time. In particular use care in pushing in the OD knob. It will be stiff but should move freely. If adjusted properly, knob will go almost all the way to touch the bracket. If it seems quite hard to push at any point, don't force it until you check things out underneath and do some lubrication of the cable. The cable is a heavy duty Bowden type cable and if the car has been parked a long time the cable can be rusty and hard to move in the housing. Since the cable housing is only crimped to the under dash bracket assy if you force too hard you can push the cable right out of the crimp and bracket..

In addition to any mechanical items, there are some contact points in the electrical circuit that also could have oxidized so take note of how things seem to work. If the governor is working and electrical circuit intact at about 17-20 mph you should see the light in the speedo come on. Let off the gas momentarily and the solenoid should engage the pawl so OD is in operation. When the solenoid completes its movement the light will go out and you should feel a noticeable drop in engine rpm.

One other thing on the R9 is a condition where certain things can conspire to keep the OD engaged after stopping. While rare, it can happen. If there is any stubbornness in either selecting reverse after the OD has been engaged and you have stopped or the gearshift lever does go into reverse but car doesn't want to move in reverse, absolutely do not try and force reverse motion until you can be sure OD is not engaged.

Posted on: 2014/9/23 13:46
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
"made a mistake in registering my car and need to change it to '2122' as it is a 1947 CS Clipper 2106. My apologies, but I can't figure out how to do this"

Michael,
for including your '47 Custom Super Clipper Eight Touring Sedan in the Registry. I've made the changes required with it now identified as a 2122 body. However, due to some limitations in the Registry, I've had to "customise" the model name so it fits in the field. And for future reference, if you need to make changes to your Registry entry just go to the foot of the listing and click on the Make Changes button. After making the changes return to the foot of the entry and click on the Save Changes button.

Posted on: 2014/9/23 14:09
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved