Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
136 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 135

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Brake Shoes. (GENERAL)
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Has anyone experienced any kind of heavy painted, Powder coated or otherwise coated brake shoes?? i.e. the METAL surfaces of the brake shoes heavy painted or powder coated etc.

NOTE that the arrows are pointing to bare metal where i scraped awaay a rather difficult to remove and almost slight krinkle finish coating.

Attach file:

jpg  (126.01 KB)
35_5422169b4d701.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2014/9/23 19:56
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Re: Brake Shoes. (GENERAL)
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Kanters repro shoes had what appears to be a baked on clear varnish over the metal. Since the adjusters have to be opened up anyway for the thicker webs that seem to be on modern shoes it didn't cause any extra work. Didn't have any problem with the piston connect pieces sliding over the varnish.

Posted on: 2014/9/23 20:30
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Yes. I've noticed varnish or a varnish like rather thin coating on many brake shoes over the years. But what i have described above is rather thick and kind of rubbery and difficult to scrape off.
THE PROBLEM is not with just the aduster saaddles but also with park brake arm and the auto adjust mechanism. Lots of friction and binding ffit. (The subject vehicle here is REAR shoes 89 Chev S10).

Note that this coating also has a rather slight wrinkle texture to it. Never seen it before.

Posted on: 2014/9/23 20:51
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Aaronw1970
See User information
hello can anyone tell me for the brake shoes orientation of the returne springs front and rear and Brake shoe primary and secondary ??? whats the diffrence ??? its for 1951 300 serires touring sedan with ultramatic 12 inch drums

Posted on: 2014/10/19 12:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Can't tell you specifically for your car but the rule is that where the two springs are different, the weaker spring always goes on the primary shoe. The rationale is that the primary shoe moves out first and makes contact with the drum before the secondary shoe and thus provides the servo effect.

Posted on: 2014/10/19 13:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If the original color springs are still there on the models that used different strength springs, the orange spring is the primary or shorter lining shoe and yellow the secondary shoe. Typically the primary or shorter lining is mounted toward the front of the car.

Some models used springs of the same tension and of the same color so doesn't matter.

Posted on: 2014/10/19 13:51
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved