Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
143 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 142

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Rust sealer-treatment
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

willits18
See User information
I have a 52 200 Deluxe. It has surface rust on the trunk floor and the passenger compartment floor, but no holes. I have seen the Rustseal products that you just remove the loose rust and paint right over the rest. It is supposed to seal and strengthen (?) the area. Has anyone used this stuff-and if so, what is your take on it? Thanks, Tracy.

Posted on: 2014/9/24 14:09
 Top  Print 

Re: Rust sealer-treatment
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Several people have used the POR 15 and from all accounts it works well. It seals and prevents more rust but not sure about much extra strength by itself. If the floor has thinned but no real holes other than maybe pinpoints and is still structurally sound, there are some discussions on other forums and on the POR FAQ where they recommend also adding a layer of thin fiberglass cloth or mesh embedded in the POR as a little added structure.http://www.por15.com/POR-15-FAQS_ep_61.html

I had considered doing that in my trunk but after some thorough cleaning found the metal was really thin and weak in several places. You might want to do a bit of poking before committing to one particular type of repair.

Posted on: 2014/9/24 14:51
Howard
 Top  Print 

Re: Rust sealer-treatment
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
I spent most of last winter cleaning the undercarriage, sheet metal etc. Agonized about what products to use. I think POR 15 is good stuff but really a PIA to use. The directions call for prepping the metal with an etching agent and then rinsing. They also recommend two coats, with the second coat timed before total set-up of the first coat. I also noted that POR 15 wants to pull away from sharp edges so they need to be rounded with a file. Also, it dries shiny black so doesn't work well under the hood where semi-gloss is needed and you have to topcoat, again within a pretty strict time limit, or else sand before top coating.
Like I said, I think its great stuff but painful to use. I ended up using it on brackets etc. when I knew I had the time available to topcoat timely.
Good Luck
Mark

Posted on: 2014/9/24 15:25
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved