Happy St. Patty's Day and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
39 user(s) are online (29 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 39

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

1939 Super Eight engine and transmission for sale
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

boosquat
See User information
1939 Packard Super Eight 320 cu. in. engine for sale. Motor is free and turns easily. Trans is tight with no slop between gears. Asking $1000. Contact hspitle@clemson.edu

Attach file:

jpg  (113.36 KB)
51924_5424118c85719.jpg 1280X721 px

Posted on: 2014/9/25 8:00
 Top  Print 

Re: 1939 Super Eight engine and transmission for sale
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day boosquat,
A late to PackardInfo, I see now you previously advertised the engine and trans in this post.

And I invite you to include your '39 Super Eight in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo.

Posted on: 2014/9/25 13:26
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Looks to me like a straight car being turned into a street rod.

Nothing like turning cash into smoke. And by the looks of things it will never get done and so go to the crusher.

Posted on: 2014/9/25 17:03
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

boosquat
See User information
The engine is going to someone who is restoring another Packard. Where do you think parts come from? As for the crusher, not a chance. The only thing I am doing is updating the drivetrain so that I can drive it every day and show people how beautiful a Packard can be. Leaving everything else stock.

Posted on: 2014/9/25 17:39
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Seems a shame to me, another Packard, a CCCA classic no less, with its heart removed. Another mongrel is born. Sorry if that seems harsh, but that's my opinion.

Posted on: 2014/9/25 18:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
The part that I don't get is what is the new drive train going to add what this 1 don't have? Do you really want to do highway driving speed with an 75 year old car?

Posted on: 2014/9/25 20:06
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

boosquat
See User information
I bought the car to use and enjoy on a daily basis, not to sit in a garage and go to car shows on occasion. And yes, I intend to drive it on the highway. What the new engine gives me is reliability, ease of finding parts if repairs are needed, lower maintenance costs, and technology that is an improvement over an engine designed in the late 1920s that was in its last year of production.

You may not like what I am doing to my car, but at least I am making it possible for someone else to restore their car.

Posted on: 2014/9/25 20:38
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Hi boosquat, welcome to Packard Info. I'm sorry for the less than warm welcome from some here, let me personally welcome you to the site and thank you for taking the effort to offer your power plant for sale. As a former owner of a '39 Super 8, I'm personally familiar with the vehicle and engine. Parts are scarce, to some degree, one year only in this case, and needed by others who tour and use in their as manufactured form.

I hope this works out for you, and whoever is in need of this.

Don't be a stranger here, we have a modified forum and would be glad if you shared, or started a blog of your own. Best of luck!

Posted on: 2014/9/25 22:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
If I were 10,000 kms closer, I would buy that engine/gearbox. The asking price appears to be reasonable. I recently purchased a set of 5 lovely wheels from a 37 115C which had been modernised for use as an everyday driver.
I would like to thank boosquat for offering the items to the site.....and good luck on his project.
Another Packard destined for preservation, albiet with a heart/lung and whatever transplant.
We see many of these creations for sale on Craigs and other sites. I consider that modernisations are a very personal statement. Good luck from Down Under anyway...Peter Toet

Posted on: 2014/9/26 1:58
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I'm sorry for the way some of us including me are a little harsh, and I hope you don't feel unwelcome here. Some of us are just passionate about originality. But I'm just wondering about your drive train swap:

What makes you think that (presumably V8 ) is more reliable than the straight 8?
I got 2 Packard straight 8's ('36-282 &'38-320) and both have been proven very reliable and easy to drive in city traffic. You have to do your maintenance but you've to do that on any engine.
I assume you want higher speeds in modern traffic, but what are your chances when you are in a wreck @ 80mph compared to today's vehicles?
Are you upgrading the brakes to cope with the higher speeds?
and I can go on and on, but I hope you thought this through pretty good on different levels. As to selling it, by having a different drive train its going to impact the value negatively and takes a lot of buyers out of the market. As Tim mentioned it is a full classic but not with another drivetrain.

Posted on: 2014/9/26 7:46
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved