Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
76 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 76

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: 1939 Super Eight engine and transmission for sale
Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
If it were me, I would hold onto the original drive train. If there comes a time he wants to sell, he can include it with the car. Then he would attract buyers who prefer original as well as modders.

Posted on: 2014/9/26 7:49
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

boosquat
See User information
Thanks for the input. I am sympathetic toward those who are disappointed in having another Packard turned into what one of you called a "mongrel". I seriously considered restoring the old drivetrain until I started receiving feedback from more than one Packard restorer on how expensive the 320 was to restore, how prone it was to cracked blocks around the valves, how scare these engines are and how hard (and expensive) parts are to find.

My reluctant conclusion was that if I wanted to enjoy and drive the car before I died, I needed to resort to a more modern driveline.

I an trying to make peace with the purists by at least offering the engine and transmission to someone who is dedicated to keeping their Packard original.

As for value at resale, I have no intention of ever selling it, and my two sons will probably squabble over who will inherit it when I'm gone.

I do appreciate the encouragement from some of you--we all have differing opinions on what should be done with a given make and model of automobile.

Posted on: 2014/9/26 8:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
I think a lot of the angst is around not using a Junior if pulling the engine anyway

Posted on: 2014/9/26 8:27
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

boosquat
See User information
I was searching for a junior Packard, and would have been happy with a 120. The Super Eight came on the market at a very low price and I bid on it, never thinking I would get it. As it turns out, I was the highest bidder. This is the Packard I have to work with, hence the use of a senior Packard.

Posted on: 2014/9/26 8:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I work with a GM engineer who has a hot rod. It's a roadster with a glass body, made up frame, etc, etc..
He doesn't drive it much because he admits it's a piece of shxt.

This case is just another straight car being turned into junk. Not all of these cases are rods. I've seen lots of similar cars taken apart for "restoration" that stayed that way and were sent to the crusher. I've seen dozens of nice originals collected by greedy screwballs who didn't store them correctly so they went under the cutting torch.

This is another example of turning cash into smoke.

I know of old old men hanging onto original 409 Chevy's until they die because they don't want them turned into low riders.

Maybe that motor is junk. If it is not much can be said about repairing the car. However, it doesn't cost much to figure that out. I knew people who loved the 39 Super 8. Years ago one used to drive his onto the CCCA field and tell them to call a tow truck. Regardless, that car is going to end up in the crusher one way or another.

Posted on: 2014/9/26 17:36
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

boosquat
See User information
Is this what your forum is about, telling people their car will end up junk or a piece of shit just because it doesn't meet your personal approval? I would never presume to tell anyone that they lack the motivation or drive to finish their car, or that no matter what they do, it won't be worth a damn.

Posted on: 2014/9/26 20:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Though I'm a purist and very much regret your plan to re-engine your car, NO - that's not what this forum is about. Tim Cole's comment is his opinion that he's entitled to, but I personally find it regrettable and hope it doesn't get stuck under your skin. We're here to collectively enjoy our Packards regardless of their DNA.

Posted on: 2014/9/27 8:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
O_D, I couldn't of said it better!
This forum is known for its friendliness, helpfulness, lets keep it that way.

Posted on: 2014/9/27 9:48
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I don't think my response is overly hostile considering that a Packard is shown being cut up into a street rod amongst a garage full of unfinished street rods.

I wouldn't expect a pleasant response if I were to go to the ThunderBird forum and show pictures of a Chevy engine being dropped into a T-Bird.

The fact of the matter is that most street rods end up junked. This site is about preservation not destruction. If a car can't be saved that is a sad thing for the people here. But is it realistic to expect people here not to be disturbed by seeing Packards cut up and turned into junk street rods?

May I add that if you sample some of my other entries on the subject I am not an intransigent purist. I simply cannot conclude otherwise that this particular project will lead to anything positive.

Posted on: 2014/9/27 10:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
To O-D's comment, I send a ditto. While I would prefer it with the original drive train, I fully understand wanting to go with an update.

I hope that boosquat keeps us posted on her progress in the Modified blog section.

Better a Packard on the road than at the crushers and turned into a toaster or ???

Posted on: 2014/9/27 10:32
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved