Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
141 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 140

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Spark Plug Wires
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike T
See User information
Looking for a replacement set of spark plug wires for my 1951 288. Any good sources out there?

Posted on: 2014/9/25 23:02
 Top  Print   

Re: Spark Plug Wires
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike T
See User information
Oh yeah, it has a Delco-Remy distributor.

Posted on: 2014/9/25 23:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You can buy sets made specifically for your car (though they may not be totally authentic), you can buy "universal" sets where you will have to trim some lengths to get a proper fit, or you can just buy bulk wire and the terminal ends and make up your own. Kanter's and Max have pre-made sets, among others. I see bulk wire spools perpetually on eBay and auto parts or motorcycle shops also will sell it along with the terminal ends if you go that route. NAPA (Belden brand) has "universal" kits and no doubt so do AutoZone and others, though these will almost certainly be of the "resistor wire" type.

Were it mine, I'd go with braided copper core wire (not resistor wire) and go with resistor spark plugs if radio performance is important.

Although rubber boots over the plug ends were not standard equipment, they were available from Packard and are listed in the parts book, should you like them - they may offer some advantage in starting in very wet conditions.

Posted on: 2014/9/26 8:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I'm making a set for my 39 120. Car Quest had the bulk copper core wire and the crimp on connectors. Just be sure to buy a good crimping tool, as trying to crimp the connectors with pliers just doesn't work as well. I'll go out to the garage and get the tool name and model that I borrowed from my mechanic buddy.

Posted on: 2014/9/26 13:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
The tool is made by Accel, and is made for cutting and crimping spark plug wires. Here is where you can get one:
http://www.amazon.com/ACCEL-170037-Superstock-Crimp-Tool/dp/B001HQEC2S

Posted on: 2014/9/26 20:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
Check out the Brillman catalog, too. It's like a candy store for ignition parts.

Posted on: 2014/9/27 12:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike T
See User information
Thanks for the sources. I'm also going to send my brother-in-law to the Brillman site to look stuff for his antique tractors!

Posted on: 2014/9/29 19:21
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved