Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
96 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 95

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

fuel pump or carb
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

JIMO
See User information
I am putting a 39 6-cylinder back together. I purchased the car in pieces. It came with an electric fuel pump that according to my research slightly exceeds the pressure from the original mechanical one. The carb that came with the car is a Carter Wa-1. The car starts fine, runs about 30 seconds, then quits. I can almost immediately restart the car, with the same result. The fuel pump continues to run even when the engine is running or not, at first I thought I was losing power to the pump when the engine started. Fuel flow the the tank is great, I removed the filter and pump from the new fuel line and gas free flows from the tank at a pretty good flow. Filter is clean and replaced just in case.

Any thoughts? I did try cleaning the carb, checked the float level in the carb - I have run out of ideas.

Posted on: 2014/9/29 12:32
 Top  Print   

Re: fuel pump or carb
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If the car starts right back up doesn't sound as if it is flooding so doubt the higher fuel pressure is the issue but is there any way to immediately check the level in the bowl when it quits to make sure there is enough flow to keep it filled.

If you don't have the stock Packard pump or filter the next may not be applicable but will throw it out anyway.

You didn't say what kind of filter but I had issues with the ceramic type. It looked clean and passed air just fine but varnish had coated the pores so it could barely pass fuel to the carb...Idled fine but as soon as engine needed some more rpms it would die. That could be an issue with either type pump if a filter is partially blocked.

Another car had issues with the rubber flex hose going into the regular pump. As soon as engine rpms picked up and suction increased the hose became restricted. The hose core had apparently cracked and the suction was enough to move a portion of the inner hose lining into the path and block the flow. As soon as the car quit the blockage moved out of the way and flow was restored until suction was high enough to move it again.

If you can totally remove fuel as an issue then the other thing would be ignition. Old coils and even some ignition switches are notorious for heating up and suddenly failing. Once they are off a few minutes they cool and work again. If your engine starts right back up probably not the issue but maybe keep it in mind anyway. One other thing some have run into is with the old ign switches connected to the coil via the armored cable. Sometimes the insulation on the wire inside the armor can fail. Vibration causes a short, kills the coil and engine stops. Vibration stops, wire isn't shorted so the car will start and run until it happens again.

Posted on: 2014/9/29 13:01
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just a long shot guess but is has happened to myself and others. It assumes the fuel pump is OK and so is the carburetor.

A piece of junk, possibly dislodged gas tank liner, has come loose in the tank. When the pump runs, it get sucked to the tank outlet and blocks the fuel supply. When the pump is off, it floats away a small distance and again allows the pump to push fuel for a short time.

Posted on: 2014/9/29 15:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good afternoon...

One more possibility would be the needle valve that works with the float valve is not opening as it should due to gunk or rust or wear.

Ernie current caretaker of 'Prudence' a 1949 2362.

Posted on: 2014/9/30 17:02
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved