Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
160 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 160

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Disc brake upgrade for a 1939 Packard Super Eight
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

boosquat
See User information
Has anyone done this type of conversion? My understanding is that the 1939 Super Eight shares the chassis and body with the 120. Is the front end the same, and will conversion kits intended for use with the 120 work for the Super Eight?

Posted on: 2014/9/29 17:58
 Top  Print 

Re: Disc brake upgrade for a 1939 Packard Super Eight
Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I'm not sure about the conversion or how to do it, but I do know that if you do not match your new disc brakes with better tires (radials), your stopping ability will not get better. The original Packard brakes are more than adequate in locking up the wheels.

Posted on: 2014/9/29 20:11
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
I put the disc conversion on my 39 jr' coupe along with a remote power booster and now my brakes work just like a modern car. I don't have to bend the steering wheel when trying to make a "high speed" stop. As for working on a 39 super 8 your best bet is to call Kanter

Posted on: 2014/9/29 20:29
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
I was going to reply earlier and offer armchair experience, hoping that Phil would chime in, as he is the only actual user I know of having installed the Kanter kit. Phil, please, add more detail, if you posted elsewhere, I must have missed it.

I will add that several other folks I know have also upgraded, for safety reasons from the original single master cylinder to a dual master, and a vacuum booster. Every responsible Packard driver should make this safety upgrade, show cars aside. This can be done very discreetly, installing the booster kind of under the floor in front of the battery box, and painting the master cylinder black; no one will notice except the now infamous purists.

I will also agree with West that the original drum brakes, especially with a booster, are very adequate for the car, more so in fact on the 39 Super 8, which has, if I recall correctly, 12x2" brakes versus 12 x 11 3/4 on the 120's. Not much more, likely due to the increased weight of the 320 engine, but enough to point out for the record...and if Boosquat does indeed pull the drum setup, I am confident there is a buyer waiting to upgrade to the wider front brakes.
Me for one...send'em my way- I'll buy the backing plates, brakes and drums.

DAF

Posted on: 2014/9/29 20:43
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

boosquat
See User information
DAF:

I promise that if and when I decide to update the brakes on the Packard Super Eight, you will have first option on the drums, backing plates, etc.

Boosquat

Posted on: 2014/9/29 21:15
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

boosquat
See User information
DAF

As promised, I received the Kanter disc brake conversion kit for my 1939 Super Eight sedan.

I have the two front brake drums, backing plates, etc. for sale and you have the first option on them if you are still interested in using them to upgrade your 120 to 2 inch drums in the front.

Hugh

Posted on: 2015/2/9 11:28
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Appologies for going a bit off-topic.

Many folks have a misconception about mechanical brakes; granted those used on inexpensive cars like Fords were pretty primitive and it is a bit of a chore to get them equalized after a reline. But having driven lots of Packards in many different situations, IMO the very best brakes for stopping power are the Bendix mechanicals used 1936 and back to 1932. These all have vacuum boost and in 33/34, driver-adjustable (from the dashboard) vacuum boost in 4 increments. Drums are 14" with individual lining lengths of 30-1/4 per wheel on the Eights and Super Eights, 32-1/4 per wheel on the Twelves. Just phenomenal stopping power, even with some vehicle weights approaching 6000 lbs.

Posted on: 2015/2/9 11:58
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved