Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
130 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 129

michael biegas, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

Ink Stamp on Patent Plates
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Sam Sargent
See User information
Getting closer to completing my '50 Deluxe restoration and I'm getting more and more picky about the original details:

I had a new patent plate made with engraved serial # so the font would be as close as possible to the original. I plan to have an ink stamp made by a local maker but I can't find again the picture of the ink stamped Paint and Trim Codes. I ran into it once - I believe on this site but now a search can't locate it. Thought it was in Robert Neal's book - "Packard 1948 to 1950" but after thumbing back through it this morning I found it was the stamp and pad kit - no font example.

Does anyone have or recall the link to show the ink stamp fonts? - "X" and "69" in particular

Thanks!
- Sam

Posted on: 2014/10/10 16:05
1950 Eight Deluxe -2362-
Registry
 Top  Print   

Re: Ink Stamp on Patent Plates
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Sam Sargent
See User information
ok - well this is what I ended up with.
I searched through MS office fonts and decided on "Centry Gothic" (bold), when by the local Office Max - and after a few sizing trials and voila!
- I hope it's close to authentic!

Attach file:

jpg  (34.61 KB)
3861_5450581f0b628.jpg 480X640 px

Posted on: 2014/10/28 21:59
1950 Eight Deluxe -2362-
Registry
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Looks very good to me, though I'd check the parts book, I question whether the plate was attached with Philips screws - I just don't remember. I hope you have the original plate and keep it with the car.

Posted on: 2014/10/28 22:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Also, I question the decision to engrave the numbers. I believe they were stamped, but I'm not as familiar with postwar Packards. And they usually didn't put in a dash between the numbers, but, again, postwar????

Posted on: 2014/10/29 5:47
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
West, as far as stamping versus engraving, yes the originals were stamped but where does one find a stamp set with the correct font and size; easy enough with the "I" versus the "1", but correct style "6" and "9" aren't found in any stamping sets I've looked at. So in my view engraving with a correct font is a better option than stamping with the incorrect font - plus it's neater.

Regarding the use of hyphens, just looked thru some photos of prewar patent plates. All the Canadian-built cars seem to use a hyphen (and a different font); it also appears very often (but not always) on 1937 cars and sporatically in other late prewar years. At least some of the 1941 "DE" cars used hyphens. I don't seem to have a photo of a 22nd/23rd series -9- or -5- plate but I believe from memory they had hyphens.

Attach file:

jpg  (120.72 KB)
177_5450ea96985f4.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (25.81 KB)
177_5450eab2062f0.jpg 500X375 px

jpg  (80.24 KB)
177_5450eabe2562a.jpg 1280X1016 px

Posted on: 2014/10/29 8:26
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Schmick
See User information
The vehicle number on my '50 Super's original data plate is engraved (with hyphens) and with the unique Packard font. The remaining numbers/codes were not engraved as they have long since vanished from my plate probably due to previous owners' attempts to polish.

Posted on: 2014/10/29 9:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Though the stamping was usually very neat, I've never seen an original factory patent plate that was engraved, how about a picture? Often the "metal distress" from stamping shows thru on the reverse so a backside picture would also be helpful.

Posted on: 2014/10/29 9:06
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Schmick
See User information
Easy can-do. Will post picture this evening after returning home.

Posted on: 2014/10/29 9:31
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Schmick
See User information
Reviewing this thread, I think there may be some looseness in our use of the term "stamping." My point is that, at least on my car, the paint and trim codes must have orginally been INK stamped...as they no longer are present. The vehicle number, I assumed, was engraved...but could very well be neatly METAL stamped. Pictures of front and reverse to follow this evening.

Posted on: 2014/10/29 9:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Changing the patent plate to add space for paint and trim (and dropping selling dealer and date of sale) occurred partway into the 22nd series but probably after November 1947 production. From my own observations except for 1954 and later, paint and trim codes were always stamped in ink.

Just when they stopped stamping the key numbers on the backside of the plate is something that it would be nice to pin down. Anyone have any sightings of key codes on the reverse later than 1936?

Posted on: 2014/10/29 11:05
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved