Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
107 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 107

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Interior paint
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Packard Illiterati
See User information
Hello all,

I've searched online, and within this site, for information on the interior trim & dash paint. The color code is easy enough to find, but does anyone have information on the technique Packard used to create the leather grain effect? All painted surfaces inside my 53 Patrician use that technique, and I'll need to have the entire dash repainted as the paint is flaking, along with the window and door trim. About the only item that's in beautiful condition is the glove box.

Many thanks for those who can point me in the direction where that information may be located.

Warmest regards!

Posted on: 2014/10/12 12:29
 Top  Print 

Re: Interior paint
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You might take a photo of the glovebox and send an emai with inquiry to grain-it technologieshttp://woodgraining.com and see if they have some suggestions. As I recall they used to have plates for a pattern that was close if not the same as the Packard finish. I think it was called goatskin or something like that. Don't see the pattern in their current lineup so maybe discontinued but worth an ask.

If they still have the plates, several of us have used their products to redo our dashes. Not as easy as their videos make it look but the process is forgiving and mistakes easily wiped off and done over. if I was able to do a presentable job most anyone else can too but they will do the refinishing in house if you desire.

Posted on: 2014/10/12 12:59
Howard
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Packard Illiterati
See User information
Thank you for the lead, Howard. I took the photos and sent them off to Evan as you suggested. Having at least the possibility of it being called goatskin has helped me to narrow down the possible patterns.

Warmest regards!

PackardDashTexture

Posted on: 2014/10/12 16:20
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

John
See User information
Our old patterns link has a low res photo..
Patterns
Jdee

Posted on: 2014/10/12 16:58
Jdee
Grain It Technologies Inc.
Woodgraining
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
Welcome to PackardInfo. Howard is correct, the pattern is called goatskin and came in three interior colors. We did the Material Swatch Project a couple of years ago and is archived here. These interior codes I believe ran 1951-1954. The 801 is a dark brown goatskin, the 802 a dark green, and the 803 is a dark blue. Here are the wool broadcloth fabric combos that go with them:

801-dark brown broadcloth combined with tan broadcloth
802-dark green broadcloth combined with light green broadcloth
803-blue broadcloth combined with gray broadcloth
804-gray broadcloth
805-blue broadcloth
807-dark brown broadcloth

The AF would be Dresden Gray Metallic

Posted on: 2014/10/12 21:13
Stephen
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Talk about timing!

My '51 Patrician arrived today and on mine, the window garnish moldings are OK but the glove box is going to need help.

The trim code on mine, thanks to the help I had from the group, is 503 and I think the paint name would be the Dresden Gray Metallic.

Posted on: 2014/10/12 23:10
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Packard Illiterati
See User information
I've tried to find any reference to that Material Swatch Project here in PackardInfo, but have not found it. Is there a direct link to the thread or project results?

My paint code is AF, and the trim code is 804, but the painted trim appears to be a brownish-green blue-gray. I've cleaned the glove box thinking it may be build up from a smoker, but it's still the same color. Removing the small trim running along the glove box top also shows the same color. This is gonna be a tough color match for me, especially as I'm color-blind, yet am a graphic designer and color theorist... how's that for irony?

Thank you all for your help. I greatly appreciate it. I'd be otherwise lost wondering where to even start.

Warm regards!

Posted on: 2014/10/13 10:44
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
We are discussing the "goat skin" paint applied to the dashboard on some models, right? The best photo I have of that unique paint is below, this from a black 1953 Derham but that paint technique was not unique to the Derham customs. Interior trim code probably 801 if not redone in custom wool by Derham. Interior photo also included; note the "goat skin" paint also applied to the steering column.

Attach file:

jpg  (102.69 KB)
177_543bf50a0ba2c.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (65.61 KB)
177_543bf892e287f.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2014/10/13 10:51
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
In 53 code AF would be a two tone -- Regimental Gray poly (metallic) for the upper color and Dresden Gray poly for the lower. Packard frequently had the darker color on top so Regimental is a shade darker than Dresden. There are some paint chips here in the literature section and also a concise summary of paint/trim/ combo information or cards is on the PAC site in the Library, reference section. Those paint cards are small photos though. Unfortunately there are no specific color chips for interior colors available that I am aware of. All Packard says about the 53 interior colors that you probably have in your car was E-4340 blue air drying enamel and E-4341 gray air drying enamel.

Finding things on this site can be a bit difficult at times due to limitations in the software categories usable for filing purposes but the fabric cards that are available on site are in the photo sectionhttp://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/myalbum/viewcat.php?cid=102

There is no index to an individual fabric without going thru them all so to find yours you will have to scroll thru the pages. At the bottom of each swatch is an applicable model so find your model # and then look just above that information for the code(s) for that particular swatch .

Posted on: 2014/10/13 11:19
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
Illiterati,

I own a 53 Derham Formal that is unrestored. It is black X code for body paint and the 801 interior. A couple of images below. My goatskin is not in good shape either except on the door trim. It will be an interesting learning experience when I get to redoing the interior.

Attach file:

jpg  (81.67 KB)
2260_543c73efc3f24.jpg 1024X681 px

jpg  (48.55 KB)
2260_543c74b81c6cc.jpg 752X500 px

Posted on: 2014/10/13 19:58
Stephen
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved