Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
168 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 168

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1953 Packard - Valves?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

VancouverCanuck
See User information
So we replaced the battery to an Optima Red Top. The car still cranks slow (little faster) but won't fire. To recap we have new plugs, plug cables, coil, battery, points, condenser, rotor, The motor seems difficult to turn by hand. By key it will turn slowly but not fire. Would this be stuck valves? We took off the cover for the valves and looked at everything. Can a visual tell us what is stuck? We sprayed some penetrating oil there. We keep hearing about MMO but haven't found in Canada yet. We know we may have to pull the head off but would pref to try whatever else we can first. If we do pull off the head where does one find gaskets?

Posted on: 2014/10/13 9:59
 Top  Print 

Re: 1953 Packard - Valves?
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I can't remeber, did u run a compression check???

Posted on: 2014/10/13 10:19
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Are the spark plugs wet with gas meaning fuel is getting into the cylinders???

Posted on: 2014/10/13 10:20
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
First remove all spark plugs.
How does it crank with all spark plugs removed? ( Fast, Same, Can't tell)
With Throttle WIDE open, do a Compression check and record each Cylinder. ( At least three pumps from each cylinder.)
(If you have the valve cover off you could be able to see the valves stems move up and down.)
Also with the spark plugs removed leave them connected ( just laying on top of the head) and see if each one sparks on the compression stroke. (Be careful it will shock you if your not careful.)
Give this a try.
Wes

Posted on: 2014/10/13 10:39
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
Acquiring a headgasket shouldn't be a problem. The PAC's Packard Yellow Pages lists a dozen vendors under Gaskets. When I needed a headgasket back in '06 I chose Max Merritt but they weren't the only one who had it in stock. With that said, I wouldn't pull the head for this condition just yet. See how it cranks with the spark plugs out and see if the lifters are lifting as Mr. Boyer recommends. I suspect the valves will be OK and even if they're not I don't think they could cause slow, stiff cranking. I'm wondering about the state of your engine's bottom end, the rod and main bearings, as it's sounding to me like the bottom end might be seizing or locking up. Dropping the oil pan and inspecting the rod bearings might be called for. But see if it cranks faster and easier with when the plugs are out first. Performing a compression test at this time is also an excellent suggestion. Good luck.

Posted on: 2014/10/13 23:52
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ima48too
See User information
Pop that distributor out and get it in a vice so you can watch the action. If the ignition point breaker plate is not returning to it's non-vacuum retarded position you could have a little too much advance while starting. That will give you the slow grunts. Check the diaphragm to be sure it holds vacuum, as well, that will give you the stumbles on light acceleration. See, I know all them technical terms.
Bernie

Posted on: 2014/10/15 12:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sloride75
See User information
And have you replaced the battery cables yet, as several wise folks here have suggested in your other threads?

Posted on: 2014/10/15 14:17
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved