Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
95 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 95

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Head lamp bulbs...
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Out of curiosity what is the solution for an owner of one of these cars if the bulb burns out & converting to something available is frowned upon. Am sure I know the answer but is it just the idea of a sealed beam conversion or is it the conversion to anything else at all the main issue.

With the stock of bulbs apparently not plentiful or already gone is there plans to make another batch? I remember a caution from another poster about an accidental disconnecting of the battery load causing the generator to surge and blow his bulbs. With that kind of scenario it would seem the need for some kind of retrofit solution would appear to be there -- particularly if proper bulbs are in short supply and cost as much as a first born.

Posted on: 2014/10/14 15:37
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

RussBees
See User information
Of course Bruce is more than correct. I would agree and sorry I was thinking aloud. Will be doing all the above suggestions and hope the bulbs are OK.

Posted on: 2014/10/14 15:44
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Some may consider adapting the 6-volt H4 bulbs to the early headlight assemblies. They have the conventional 3-prong terminals. I was able to adapt 12-volt H4 bulbs into Trippe Beam headlight assemblies (7" round replacements for conventional sealed beam bulbs). The results were satisfactory, but there was a lot of messing around to get the bulb filaments working with the headlight lenses.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/10/14 17:36
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Russ - on occasion I've seen a 33/34 Packard or Cadillac where owners had replaced the sockets in the reflectors with Ford Model A sockets or other sockets which take more available headlamp bulbs. This was probably done years ago to overcome the bulb scarcity issue but as those other rather standard headlight bulbs are also 32 candlepower there would be no improvement in illumination. However you might be able to get a halogen bulb to fit those sockets.

Posted on: 2014/10/14 18:43
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved