Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
169 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 168

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

How to quote some one else in a forum post
Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Skotty
See User information
I can't seem to figure this out, and it is done all the time by others in this forum. How do I designate someone else's text for quoting in a forum post?

Posted on: 2014/10/16 12:03
Don Skotty
1938 Super 8 1604 1116 Club Sedan
1939 Twelve
 Top  Print 

Re: How to quote some one else in a forum post
Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve203
See User information
How do I designate someone else's text for quoting in a forum post?

I just highlight the text I want to reply to in the original post, right click and select "copy" from the pop up menu, then right click and select "paste" in the reply window. Then I highlight the text and click the italics or boldface buttons above the reply window.

Posted on: 2014/10/16 12:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve203
See User information
Quote:

Don Skotty wrote:
I can't seem to figure this out, and it is done all the time by others in this forum. How do I designate someone else's text for quoting in a forum post?

Or, after pressing the reply button to the quote you want to address, press the "quote" button at the bottom of the new message window to copy and paste the entire post.

I prefer to use the italics or boldface buttons to designate the quoted text for clarity as I may be addressing one point in a long post.

Posted on: 2014/10/16 12:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Skotty
See User information
Quote:

Don Skotty wrote:

Doesn't seem to work for me. Above was the result of highlighting the following text -

"Or, after pressing the reply button to the quote you want to address, press the "quote" button at the bottom of the new message window to copy and paste the entire post."

And then hitting the quote button. Arrgh. It can't be this hard?

Posted on: 2014/10/16 12:53
Don Skotty
1939 Twelve
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Quote:

Don Skotty wrote:
Quote:

Don Skotty wrote:

Doesn't seem to work for me. Above was the result of highlighting the following text -

"Or, after pressing the reply button to the quote you want to address, press the "quote" button at the bottom of the new message window to copy and paste the entire post."

Hello Don:

Glad you asked this question as I could not figure it out either.

Look at Steve203 comment in post #3. In the lower-righthand corner of the gray box is a small button - "REPLY." Click on it and it opens a new reply box. Now scroll all the way down to the bottom of that new box. There are 5 buttons at the bottom. At the far left is "QUOTE." Click on that button and it automatically adds the poster's comment.

Posted on: 2014/10/16 13:02
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Skotty
See User information
Quote:

RogerDetroit wrote:
Quote:

Don Skotty wrote:
Quote:

Don Skotty wrote:

Hello Don:

Look at Steve203 comment in post #3. In the lower-righthand corner of the gray box is a small button - "REPLY." Click on it and it opens a new reply box. Now scroll all the way down to the bottom of that new box. There are 5 buttons at the bottom. At the far left is "QUOTE." Click on that button and it automatically adds the poster's comment.

Wow, the power of the little reply button. Thanks much.

Posted on: 2014/10/16 13:22
Don Skotty
1939 Twelve
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you want the posters name to appear I think the reply with quote as described is the best and maybe only way. If you just want to quote a few lines without doing the italics and not necessarily need the name of the original poster, highlight the lines you want and copy then go to the small box to open the quote field and paste the copied lines into the box or window that opens.

Quote:

Attach file:

jpg  (10.31 KB)
209_54400df17a2fd.jpg 235X113 px

Posted on: 2014/10/16 13:27
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve203
See User information
Quote:

Don Skotty wrote:
Quote:

Don Skotty wrote:

Actually, what I should have written is after pressing the reply button to the post you want to address, press the "quote" button

Sorry about the confusion

Posted on: 2014/10/16 17:45
 Top  Print 

false-false
Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved