Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
107 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 105

r1lark, 39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Nutty question on the intake/exhaust manifold
Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
I had to replace the manifold gaskets on my 38. Most of the nuts were brass and some steel. I checked a 1950 327 motor and all the nuts were steel. Is it OK to just use steel nuts or should I try to find the 3/8x24 brass nuts?

Posted on: 2014/10/17 7:13
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print 

Re: Nutty question on the intake/exhaust manifold
Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
Did a search and found the answer- brass is preferred

Posted on: 2014/10/17 7:37
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
The REAL question here is WHY brass preferred? I am GUESSING that the brass is less likely to loosen under heat nd vibration.
If u really have to have 100 point show car that is oem perfect thru and thru then go for the brass. If u want an even better quality set uo then look for some stover nuts. They are self locking kind of interference fit and are used in racing as well as on many production cars since the early 1960's that i know of, especiaaly on exhauste.

SBC used the 3/8 16 stover nuts in production for many years on the pipe to exh. maniflold bolts.

NOTE that stover nut does NOT imply an elastice stop nut. The stover has a kind of egg shaped crown to it. There is NO plastic about it. Look at nuts for the SBC exh. flange to pipe applications. They should be easy to find and not expensive.

Posted on: 2014/10/17 14:40
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
wait a minute. u said 3/8 -24. Those should be readily available in stover nut too.

Posted on: 2014/10/17 14:43
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I have heard that brass nuts are preferred because they will not rust and seize on the studs.

Your suggestion for the special locking nuts is a good one. Tighten to spec and they will not back-off. Not authentic, but better in service.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/10/17 16:15
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
Does anyone know what the torque spec is?

Posted on: 2014/10/17 19:07
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved