Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 154

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Packard Ignition Coil
Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Hello, I was curious does the wire t from the coil on the negative side run to the dash and the positive side runs to the distributor. I'm trying to start a rebuilt engine for the first time but there's is no fire, only a weak spark from the points. Thanks

Posted on: 2014/10/17 20:08
 Top  Print 

Re: Packard Ignition Coil
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
positive ground (battery)-plus to dist.---negative ground (battery)-ninus to dist

Posted on: 2014/10/17 20:19

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print 

Re: Packard Ignition Coil
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I was curious does the wire t from the coil on the negative side run to the dash and the positive side runs to the distributor.

For a positive ground that would be correct. Make sure there is a good 6v at the terminal from dash with ignition on. Then check the terminal going to dist. If the points are open the 6v would also be at that terminal. When points are closed then 0v to maybe 1 or 2 tenths at the terminal.

If the voltage at dist terminal doesn't get that low with points closed, check for oxidized points or poor ground at dist. If the voltage never gets close to 6v check for bad condenser or short in dist. When the engine is cranking the voltage from dash needs to stay 5v and above to have a reliable spark.

Posted on: 2014/10/17 20:21
Howard
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved