Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
166 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 162

Duane Gunn, Todd W. White, Marty or Marston, Joe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'56 TL issue, where to start
Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
I am somewhat perplexed by my 56 Executive's TL operation, or lack of operation. The latest issue is that the rear of the car seems to be stuck in the raised position. It was working fine a few months ago (both in auto and manual operations with the 3-way switch under the dash). The 'up' selection of the manual switch engages the solenoid, but the 'down' selection doesn't work. Upon inspection, all components seem to be correct, meaning that the compensator yoke is pointing in the correct direction.

I may have jumped the gun, but I got in a hurry and connected a 12-volt source directly to the compensator motor's down terminal. The motor turned for a few revs and then stops, leaving the rear end still in the raised position. It almost makes me think that the small retaining washer on the compensator's worm gear has failed (again ). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on: 2014/10/18 13:07
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: '56 TL issue, where to start
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Does the motor turn in both directions when you power it directly? Believe the symptom on the loose lock ring was motor would run but nothing would happen.

You said the yoke is in the correct orientation. I take it that means the long transverse bar is located at the rear side and short drivers side bar is in front? When you were driving it manually and it stopped was either of the bars touching the center of the assy. If so you might have to back it up to run bars all the way around. Without seeing it that is a hard call from a distance. It is also possible the manual direct driving has moved the cam inside into a position where the limit switch has been depressed and has maybe gotten stuck or damaged. That would explain why it would electrically drive one way and not the other.

Posted on: 2014/10/18 13:49
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Does the motor turn in both directions when you power it directly? Believe the symptom on the loose lock ring was motor would run but nothing would happen.

You said the yoke is in the correct orientation. I take it that means the long transverse bar is located at the rear side and short drivers side bar is in front? When you were driving it manually and it stopped was either of the bars touching the center of the assy. If so you might have to back it up to run bars all the way around. Without seeing it that is a hard call from a distance. It is also possible the manual direct driving has moved the cam inside into a position where the limit switch has been depressed and has maybe gotten stuck or damaged. That would explain why it would electrically drive one way and not the other.

The motor does turn in both directions when powered directly. The short bar is in front and the long bar is in the rear. I only directly drove the motor for a few revs in each direction ('down' until the motor ran until it would run no longer, and 'up' for about 30 seconds). I don't think that the bars pressed into the assy. although both bars are slightly bent from the previous TL system drama.

Before driving the motor directly, I had disconnected the small compensator lever rod and moved the lever by hand, back and forth, with no TL motor engagement. I reconnected the small lever control rod and then tried the direct power of the TL motor.

Posted on: 2014/10/18 20:47
Bob

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Before driving the motor directly, I had disconnected the small compensator lever rod and moved the lever by hand, back and forth, with no TL motor engagement.

Am assuming you waited the amount of time for the delay when manually moving the lever? If so, I would verify you have 12v to ground on the light green wire in the center of the row of terminals at the switch. If that is not present the switch won't work. It is supplied thru two fuses, the brake light switch, and the under dash on/off switch. The fuses are the ones located near the solenoids.

The solenoids need a ground to operate which is supplied by relays inside the control switch. To test the solenoids and that part of the circuit directly you can use a jumper wire to ground either of the outside terminals at the control switch. Just do it for a moment long enough to see if the solenoid energizes and motor moves. Also make sure the compensator is in a safe area because grounding at the outside terminals bypasses the limit switches. If neither solenoid or the motor comes in, the 30 amp fuse is blown. If the motor moves in both directions, then go to the next terminal in on either side of center and do the same thing. Those terminals are the output of control switch and goes thru the limit switches. If both solenoids work then something is wrong with voltage in or the control switch. If one of the solenoids does not energize something has activated a limit switch or the switch has failed.

Posted on: 2014/10/18 21:22
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
I thank you for the great advise and will get to properly examining the TL system accordingly. It's typical of myself to think that "I know the problem..." and jump right in and look for the quick fix. I think that that is where I am weakest and find that I just exasperate the original problem.

I think that you know how helpful this site is and how many Packard owners have benefitted from it's content and all of the knowledge represented here

Posted on: 2014/10/19 9:46
Bob

Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved