Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
102 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 102

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Engine timing
Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Thanks to those of you that have tried to help me with starting my 38 for the first time. I have done everything that has been suggested with no luck. Now I' m thinking maybe I should experiment with the timing. I cannot seem to make any sense from the shop manual on how to set the timing. This is my first time attempting to set the timing in a car older than a 1965 year model. Help please !!

Posted on: 2014/10/18 15:41
 Top  Print 

Re: Engine timing
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just to be sure the distributor is not 180 deg. off, go back to fundementals. Remove at least #1 spark plug; turn the engine over by hand in it's normal direction of rotation until you feel compression coming out of #1 plug hole and stop on the timing mark or about 4-6 degrees BTDC. If you overshoot, go around TWO full revolutions. Now remove the distributor cap and see if the rotor tip is under #1 plug wire. If not, it will be 180 degrees out - just remove the distributor and rotate the shaft a half turn and reinstall.

Now, without turning the engine, look at the points - they should be just on the verge of opening, or perhaps have just barely opened. If so, the timing is close enough for the engine to start. If not, use a test light, hold the rotor steady to avoid backlash, and rotate the distributor until the points just open - using a test bulb across the points is helpful. Now you should be within a couple of degrees of perfect timing. Once it's running, set it exactly with a timing light.

Posted on: 2014/10/18 16:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Thank you for your easy to follow instructions. Too bad you didn't write the service manual for Packard, your direction are concise and simplified , I appreciate you taking time to help me.

Posted on: 2014/10/18 22:28
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Too bad you didn't write the service manual for Packard

Thanks for the nice words, but let's remember the audience that the shop manual was written for - Packard owners didn't tinker with their own cars - the manual was primarily for the shop mechanics who understood the fundamentals and a whole lot more.

Posted on: 2014/10/18 22:55
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved