Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 105

Alvin14, kevinpackard, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

1955 Caribbean brake question
Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
I have completely rebuilt the brake system on the car- new shoes, hold downs , springs and wheel cylinders from Kanter; rebuilt Tredlevac/ master cylinder from Merritt, new stainless lines. The drums were checked and cleaned. We have bled the system adjusted the shoes per manual and adjusted the emergency brakes, installed all new vacuum hoses and checked for vacuum.
Brakes still feel like power brake unit is not working. The car will stop but not like I would expect - compared to Tredlevac assist on my 57 Lincoln.
I have followed the Service Manual troubleshooting instructions and have pumped the pedal to exhaust vacuum and then started car with foot on the pedal- seems to depress easier than depressing pedal with engine stopped. Pedal seems to operate smoothly without binding and when car is shut off, have about 1/4 inch of free play.
Actually removed a rebuilt T- vac I originally installed fro Tucson Packard which did not appear to be working since could not hear vacuum escaping when pedal pushed when engine was stopped. Had initial clearance problem with shoe on right rear binding on the inside of drum- corrected with minor grinding.
Any hints will be appreciated.
Thanks
RJR

Posted on: 2014/10/19 23:17
 Top  Print 

Re: 1955 Caribbean brake question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Check that the car is developing 17 or 18 inches vacuum at idle. Also take a hard look at the check valve at the back of the rear carb which supplies vac for the brakes.
They have a tendency to stick shut and you will get a very hard pedal.

Posted on: 2014/10/20 5:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
Ross - Thanks for the reply. I checked the vacuum and it is holding at 16-18 inches at idle. I checked intake bolts and carbs and all in order. I switched the control valve on the rear carb with another used unit I had in the bin with no real difference. I will see if Merritt has a NOS unit but I am a bit perplexed. The car is not safe to drive- brakes barely hold at 5-10mph.
I follows the test mode from the manual- pump brake to vent the vacuum, put car in neutral with foot on brake pedal and start engine. Pedal moves a bit but still feels hard to me and .....doesn't stop.
I guess two rebuilt Tredlevacs could be the issue but.....
I will see if a new valve helps but I did not see any difference between the two I tried and vacuum was consistent.
Pedal seems to push smoothly enough and have the apx 1/4 inch free play at the top.
I am not a big fan of single line brake systems and I have experienced brake failures due to blown lines, failed,wheel cylinders and failure of master cylinders, but this is a Caribbean and I am reluctant to convert to a modern unit- particularly since every conversion ends up with a brake pedal arrangement that looks cobbled.
Maybe cut a hole through the floor boards and do a Flintstone?..
Any further help would be appreciated.
Thanks again.
RJR

Posted on: 2014/10/26 22:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Pull the vac hose off the reserve tank on the fender and stick your vacuum gage on there. See what sort of readings you are getting while someone works the pedal.

It comes down to 3 basic possibilities: Not enough vacuum to the TV, TV not rebuilt properly, major problem elsewhere in the system.

I keep my brakes adjusted up very close and I would say there is about 1/4" pre-travel at the pedal, followed by about maybe 1" travel for a normal stop. Yours?

Posted on: 2014/10/27 6:53
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
For a TEST procedure:
Remove check valve from back of carburetor and run a hose directly from the BTV unit to the carburetor BYPASSING the vacuum reserve tank. If that corrects the problem then either the check valve or the vacuum reserve tank is bad.

Posted on: 2014/10/27 8:04
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Not talking smack about the aforementioned service providers/sellers, but I send my BTV units to Ed Strain in Pinellas Park FL (look in Hemmings under "services provided") and get them back within a week, good to go, never any issues.

Posted on: 2014/10/27 10:41
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Not talking smack about the aforementioned service providers/sellers, but I send my BTV units to Ed Strain in Pinellas Park FL (look in Hemmings under "services provided") and get them back within a week, good to go, never any issues.

Posted on: 2014/10/27 10:41
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Like Mr. PB I've used Ed Strain for my BTV work for a very long time, he did my unit in the Carib perhaps 15 years ago plus perhaps another 20 or 30 for friends of mine. No problems with any of them that I'm aware of. Also no problems with the OEM type brake light switches, I use DOT 4 brake fluid and try to give it a flush and refill every 4 or 5 years. It's apparent the OEM brake light switches don't like DOT 5.

Posted on: 2014/10/27 11:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
I was trying to check out Howard's comment on use of an ElectoBoost system as a replacement for the Bendix Tredlevac. I was interested in determining whether the positive ground of the 55 would be a problem. I got a note from a friend suggesting that I look at a HydroBoost unit and sent a web site for Altech motor sports for a Classic Performance CP3100R unit. The system looks like it would bolt to the floor plate that holds the Tredlevac and connect directly to the existing brake pedal. The new master cylinder connects to the end of the unit- similar to the stock unit. The system connects to the power steering hoses for the boost. I called the toll free number( 800 512-1040) and was advised that the unit will accept most master cylinders but that a Wildwood unit with a remote reservoir would probably work best. The unit is supposedly around $500 retail through Summit.
I will follow up with Summit to see what total,price including master cylinder and required hoses will cost, but I think it will be less,than the $1200+ that I was seeing for the Electroboost.
Just curious as to whether anyone else,has tried this solution.

Posted on: 2014/10/31 0:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2874&forum=3&post_id=29815#forumpost29815

Won't fit with FACTORY AC.
Read thru the ENTIRE thread. Many other threads on this site that cover conversion exhaustively.

Posted on: 2014/10/31 8:00
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved