Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
94 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 89

Danny, humanpotatohybrid, gtcoastie, Don B, Miguel Gallego, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Realistic or optimistic??
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It is a beautiful car and no doubt that much or more is in it but am I that far out of touch or is the seller

Posted on: 2014/10/20 11:42
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Realistic or optimistic??
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
a beautiful car, but one of 20? The price looks like cost of the car + all of the restoration cost + 15%. Doesn't usually work that way.

Posted on: 2014/10/20 12:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Don't we all wish, but car prices are driven by the market. What we can get and should get are two different prices. Just like anything else if somebody really wants it they'll pay anything, but it's finding that right person. Also like my house I put heated floors in the kitchen and my neighbor told I would never get my money back but boy I sure do like walking bare foot on that tile floor during the winter.
Plus at that price I would expect it to be perfect. Howard did you notice the wire going to the switch on the car?
Wes

Posted on: 2014/10/20 12:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Beautiful but optimistic. For nearly 100 grand, I'd want the front carpet re-done. Also... the chips in the paint show an under-color of light blue... did they just paint over the old finish? I think they got the upholstery piping just about right (not bright white).

Posted on: 2014/10/20 12:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
Also notice that the car is in California where prices are normally over the top and it's a dealer to boot. Now I am not of the school that says the car should be sold for $1,500 or the owner should pay the buyer to haul it away(you would be surprised at how many crackpots are out there that think exactly that AND THEY ARE SERIOUS). You know the kind I.E. what you have is worth crap, but what I have is worth the lost dutchman gold mine. I am waiting to hear from these guys with the two cars I have for sale.

Posted on: 2014/10/20 12:44
Al

1955 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
After seeing what muscle cars were going for a few years back, it made me sick to see classics going for so little. I would say most of us do it for the pride and any money we can get out of it afterwards is always the icing on the cake.
But like JD said for that price I would except not to find any imperfections.
Just my two cents!
Wes

Posted on: 2014/10/20 12:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Howard did you notice the wire going to the switch on the car?

Didn't look that closely the first time around but on second look I see some things I would have done differently. Mine is trying for correct but not going to be a high dollar 100 point resto. There is a red wire near the door that doesn't look kosher as well as a few things in eng. compt. The WS washer is a later unit but guess that could get the benefit of the doubt if an owner had wanted one and went to a dealer in the early 50s.

I think they got the upholstery piping just about right (not bright white).

The piping is still a big question in my mind. The consensus on my earlier thread with the color question was the piping and windlace was the same color. To me the back seat is maybe tannish or at least what I think my car will look like since it looks sort of dark like maybe a tan. I will be using a light tannish color -- sort of like a heavily creamed coffee -- but in the same photo the front seat appears lighter and not the same as the back or the windlace. Is it the lighting or maybe a camera flash throwing things off??

Posted on: 2014/10/20 12:57
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Re: the piping.

Yeah, I see what you mean. This shot is closest to what I think is 'correct'. The piping could be a tad darker.

Attach file:

jpg  (20.86 KB)
188_54456941707e8.jpg 426X522 px

Posted on: 2014/10/20 14:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Very optimistic. I think they are about $50K high. If it were perfect and I mean 100% it might bring $50K, but not at the price they are asking for the condition it is showing. Carpeting looks cheap. The exterior color looks too light, but it may be the way it was videoed. The tail pipe routing by the gas tank looks to be too close to the tank. That said, it is a beautiful car. I guess if I could only own one Packard it would be one of these Custom Super Clipper Club Sedans.

I too noticed the wiring to the carb switch. They routed it around in back of the horns and came at the switch from that direction. Looks like the wiring is still too close to the exhaust manifold. Also note the wiring to the front of the engine compartment and how it is routed along the top of the LH splash shield. Neat job, but is it authentic?

I hope they get their asking price, as a rising tide ...

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/10/20 15:07
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ima48too
See User information
Its not groceries so it is going to be a discretionary purchase. If one has an extra 50, 100 is not that far away. On a smaller budget I paid twice as much as market value on a car I bought 36 years ago. And the "guys in the know" laughed at me. I'm still smiling.
If the next owner has this car 36 years from now they will be happy. Think about what it would take after the purchase to enjoy that car for another four decades. Although here is always the potential for the unexpected, I can't put my finger on any major anticipated expense.
$2500 bucks a year if they keep it 36 years. That is a lot of smiling. It won't be a purchase. It's a relationship.
Bernie

The only thing I'd do is turn that right hand upper door hinge outside screw about 24 degrees. That stuff drives me nuts.

Posted on: 2014/10/20 16:16
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved