Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
149 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 148

Aladoc, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Brake drum stuck to axle
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
The knock off puller is most likely a huge slide hammer type puller. No pressure against the axle shaft at all but i would have to get mine out to refresh my memmory.

As for striking the end of the wing nut type puller and fears of damage to any bearings or thrust plates:
Lets keep things in perspective here. We have a 4000 pound car capable of taking high speed curves and turns at 60+ mph. Not to mention chuck holes that mite shift the car very haard from side to side. DRIVING ENVIRONMENT for 60K +++ miles. The force of a 2 to 4 pond hammer swung by even a gorrilla is miniscule compared to the driving and road condition forces placed on the axle.

HOWEVER, one can place a short length of 2x4 or other suitable meaans of pry bar behind the drum to pry out outboard with while striking the end of the puller bolt.

Note that the procedure is to tighten the wing nut FIRST. THEN strike the endd of the puller bolt. THEN the puller nut can be tightened more. with the same force thaat tightened it the first time.

One thing is for sure, Mechanics working COMMISION AGAINST THE CLOCK did not sit around for a day or a week gradualy tightening the wing nut waiting for it to pop the drum off.

Posted on: 2014/10/25 23:20
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Re: Brake drum stuck to axle
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Knock off puller:
Ok. I never realized anyone would try one of those for an axle application.
As HH56 indicates above it is a little morethan a nut that screws onto the end of a shaft but is more like aan acorn nut that the shaft bottoms out to. Then struck with hammer.

Posted on: 2014/10/25 23:35
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved