Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 156

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Brake drum stuck to axle
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
nice idea on the puller but you won't get enough torque on that bolt to pop the hub loose. I bought a dogbone puller from Amazon but just used my impact driver on it at first, thinking that should be plenty. After a few days of that I got a BFH (Big F**ing Hammer) and after several good whacks off they came, just like it's supposed to work. Invaluable tool, my hubs had been on there for 40+ years so they were pretty happy where they were.

Posted on: 2014/10/20 16:47
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

John Rogers
See User information
All,

JD from KC was kind enough to loan me his dog bone hub puller. It worked perfectly. In a matter of a few seconds of furious pounding with a 2 1/2 lb hammer on the dog bone, the hub popped free.

SO: Verdict is get the right tool and the job is quick and easy!

(JD's post was earlier in the thread and had a picture of the puller that worked perfectly!)

Thanks,

John

Posted on: 2014/10/21 10:13
John Series 23 Super 8
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
It's been said over and over again. But it's BOTH the tightening/pulling action of the dog bone turning and the shock from the hammer hitting it that causes the friction fit of the two tapers to let go of one another.

If they have been on a long time, it really takes a lot more tightening/pulling and hammering than one would think.

Posted on: 2014/10/23 13:14
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Regardless of the type of puller used the TRICK is to ALSO strike the end of the pullers PRESSURE bolt. Stikr it directly parallel to the axle alternating between hammer strikes to the big wing nut.
The idea is too place inpact directly to the taper thru the end of the axle shaft.

So strike the wing nut to tighten it. Then strike the puller bolt directly at the end parallel to the shaft. Alternate this procedure until it comes loose.

Posted on: 2014/10/23 14:20
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
JGR, when it comes time to reassemble, resist the temptation to put some "neversieze" or other material on the taper to make removal easier the next time, the taper joint surfaces need to be clean and DRY to properly transmit the driving force torque.

Posted on: 2014/10/23 14:21
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
Regardless of the type of puller used the TRICK is to ALSO strike the end of the pullers PRESSURE bolt. Stikr it directly parallel to the axle alternating between hammer strikes to the big wing nut.
The idea is too place inpact directly to the taper thru the end of the axle shaft.

So strike the wing nut to tighten it. Then strike the puller bolt directly at the end parallel to the shaft. Alternate this procedure until it comes loose.

Although probably a common practice, I think it is a bad one because of damage to bearings and center block. I only pound on the wing nut and never on on the puller bolt. To each his own way.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/10/23 16:14
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Assuming a knockoff wheel puller which in modern photos appears to look something like a large coupling nut that screws onto the end of axle and is struck a heavy blow to loosen the hub was the same back then, Packard specifically says not to use that type.

I would think that striking the end of a regular puller would be the same as using a knockoff puller. It would appear Packard concurs with JW that striking the axle on the end can damage the thrust block.

Attach file:

jpg  (18.71 KB)
209_544973d1c2f13.jpg 514X112 px

Posted on: 2014/10/23 16:34
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

JW wrote:

Although probably a common practice, I think it is a bad one because of damage to bearings and center block. I only pound on the wing nut and never on on the puller bolt. To each his own way.

(o{}o)

+1

Posted on: 2014/10/23 21:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Uh guys! I don't get this BFH pounding on a dogbone deal. I showed you what I did and it worked perfectly. No pounding, just leverage. Jeez. Not going to break anything that way.

Craig

Posted on: 2014/10/24 4:38
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Here we go again...
There's no friction unless there's motion, so it can't be a friction fit. It's called interference.
If you don't lube the taper and dry torque it into the stratosphere, be prepared to go through this again. The taper does not transmit the torque the key does that. Final answer.

Posted on: 2014/10/25 20:20
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved