Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
123 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 119

29tons, John Sauser, kevinpackard, JWL, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

49 23 series head light switch
Home away from home
Home away from home

Deskdriver
See User information
I need to rewire the headlight switch to my 23 series as there is now a short when the headlights are turned on.

Does anyone have an easy way to remove the switch or the cluster without causing major damage to the wiring? Pictures are the best.

There is one wire I can see that is broken off to a light for the switch cluster. My thought is to remove the entire cluster and attempt to rewire the all the swithces and lights since I am there. Good or bad idea?

I went to the library to find a Motors manual for this car, but no luck.

Any other ideas? Wiring schematics are hard for me to follow especially after other owners have replaced wires.

Thanks for your help!
B.

Posted on: 2014/10/20 11:54
[url=http://packardinf
 Top  Print 

Re: 49 23 series head light switch
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As to whether you can get the assy out without damage, that is an unknown. IIRC you had some issues just in some little work you have done which makes me think your wiring is in very bad condition. If that is the case, then doubtful you can get the sw assy out without insulation cracking or breaking off.

You will have to try though because if you need to remove a switch I don't believe there is any way to access the nuts on the front holding the switches without removing the entire switch plate assy. Depending on which wire is broken off you may be able to reach without removing the plate but another unknown.

Here is a photo posted by BDeB showing the assy with arrows pointing to the two barrel screws to remove the plate and a link to a few photos posted by Jeff showing the headlight switch internals.http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=133415#forumpost133415 The air vent controls have to drop down out of the way and you may have to move a wire or two to see the barrel nuts and get a screwdriver on them. Once those are off the plate assy will slide back and tilt down.

Motors manuals are good for some things but electrical and details like switches is generally not covered much in them. Packard didn't give a lot of info either so the schematics we have on site and first hand trial and error from other posters is about it. Have you ruled out the dimmer switch or the wires near the terminal strip on fender? Those and the rubber cables going into headlight buckets are other frequent places problems with headlights have occurred.

Attach file:

jpg  (104.30 KB)
209_5445428ba13d5.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2014/10/20 12:16
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Regarding wiring diagrams, I generally find the A.E.A. diagrams much easier to follow than the car manufacturer's diagrams. The A.E.A. diagrams can be found on The Packard Club website (www.packardclug.org). From the menu bar on the left, click on "Wiring".

Posted on: 2014/10/20 15:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Deskdriver - You have to remove the switch plate assembly or at least drop it down so you can access the switches. I have dropped mine down, but. have to do it again, as the headlight switch is still not working properly. You can drop the assembly down, as HH56 suggested. After removing everything in the way, remove the two barrel nuts that hold the assembly in. A suggestion - I made a nut holder out off a wooden pencil -sharpen one end and it can be inserted into the barrel nuts to hold them and then replace them. Otherwise there is not enough room between the light switch and next one to get to one of the barrel nuts. Of course , you have to first loosen them with a screwdriver. After you drop the assembly down, you can get to any of the switches. Hope this helps -

Posted on: 2014/10/20 16:05
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Deskdriver
See User information
Thanks for the pictures, link and suggestions. This board is great source of information.

HH56, yep I know I have electrical problems, slowly getting them fixed. However, the car is driveable. I do have a plan to restore the car and new wiring harness is one of the things in my plan. Thanks for all your help! I will print the picture for reference.

B.

Posted on: 2014/10/21 10:56
[url=http://packardinf
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved