Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
109 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 106

Ross, 29tons, John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

dash timber on a 1937 Packard 120
Just popping in
Just popping in

Lloyd Hammond
See User information
Hi folks.

First day of membership here. A great resource! I'm contemplating buying my first Packard - a 1937 120 coupe convertible (RHD) in Australia. My reluctance is my lack of knowledge on Packards - particularly in not recognising what is factory and what isn't. The car I'm looking at "appears" to my novice eyes to be very tidy and original, although the timber on the dashboard looks to be of a much heavier grain than others that I have seen on line. I'm no expert, but it looks like an oak with a heavy black grain running through it (a bit like 'pitch pine' if that's a term that's recognised). I've seen some that look more like burred walnut (maybe that's the 'senior' series). And maybe there was a different timber used on export cars.

See pic attached.

The car is being auctioned so it may be out of my reach, but I thought I'd ask, just in case.

Cheers,

Lloyd
(Fremantle, Western Australia)

Attach file:

jpg  (39.27 KB)
73834_5446031723aa5.jpg 660X440 px

Posted on: 2014/10/21 1:52
Lloyd Hammond
Fremantle, Western Australia

1936 Packard 120-B, 1968 Dodge Charger, 1968 E-type Jaguar
 Top  Print 

Re: dash timber on a 1937 Packard 120
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Lloyd,
A more 'formal' to PackardInfo then that contained in my PM. And I now see, if I'd waited, that you don't yet own a Packard. In that regard I wish you well at the auction. And, if you do secure the '37 120C Convertible Coupe, I invite you to include it in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo.

Posted on: 2014/10/21 2:49
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Go to Grainit technology. They sell kits for redoing the dashes, and have samples of most car dashes at their factory. I'm not familiar with 37 convertibles, but I do know that on a 39 the pattern is a burled elm. In my opinion what you have is a recent, hand painted version, rather than the factory rolled on version. (which is what Grainit sells - patterns, ink and rollers) You can do a search for woodgraining to see some examples of some that I've done.

Here is their website:
http://woodgraining.com

Posted on: 2014/10/21 7:34
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
The pattern on the car is incorrect and likely an amateur attempt. It should be a burled elm as David Grubbs notes. There is at least one fellow I know in Oz that has the grainit rollers and ink. Also note the background of the dash, as well as the steering wheel and column colors are incorrect. All details can be corrected, but in an auction situation probably won't effect the bidding.

Posted on: 2014/10/21 9:13
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Lloyd,

As the Flackmaster said "There is at least one fellow I know in Oz that has the grainit rollers and ink".

Here are a couple of pic's, taken a couple of months back, of a '37 Senior dash done using that kit.

Attach file:

jpg  (26.40 KB)
226_5446b34cb2c44.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (25.07 KB)
226_5446b35b0ade3.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (20.03 KB)
226_5446b36981005.jpg 384X512 px

Posted on: 2014/10/21 14:27
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Lloyd Hammond
See User information
Thanks fellas. That has confirmed my suspicions. It just didn't look right. I'd obviously prefer the burred elm finish, as it looks better and it's factory. Not sure if I'm up to doing a professional job (even though they have a young blonde showing you just how easy it is!). My concern is, if the dash isn't original, what else isn't?!

Thanks again.

Cheers, Lloyd

Posted on: 2014/10/21 19:29
Lloyd Hammond

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
A few more photos might help those that are 1937 120 experts.

Is this the car?
http://www.shannons.com.au/auctions/lot/GFQ26DX24CY09RYD/#.VEb-pP90zL8

That link is from a 2013 auction site and says it has a vinyl interior - we all know it should be leather. Then, again the description is lacking about this specific car. It only talks about 120s in general.

Woodgraining a dash is not a big deal - some good paint guys might be able to do a nice job on their first try. Just remember, tis better to be somewhat right, than precisely wrong (not buying the car). My 2 cents.

[EDIT] Much more info here:http://arts.theodorebruceauctions.com.au/custom_asp/fullcatalogue.asp?salelot=AS0146++++17+&refno=+++44507&image=8

Interesting history too (in part): This superb example of the Packard 120 Straight 8 is an original right hand drive bodied convertible coupe with rumble-seat. It was first owned by Mr W.W.Thayer, a former Attorney-General and the acting Governor of Hawaii. He was also a Scout Commissioner and in this capacity visited Australia in 1938 along with his wife who was the president of the Hawaiian Humane Society.

This 1937 Packard is in resplendent condition with a very interesting provenance and fully documented history file. This rare Packard was an export RHD model loaded on to a ship bound for Melbourne, Australia, its final destination to be the Packard agents at the time, Kellow Faulkner. Whilst the ship was on a stop over in Honolulu, Thayer who wanted a prestigious RHD car as he was deaf in his left ear and felt it safer to drive with his good ear to the traffic so it is said, was made aware of this Packard. It was therefore unloaded and had affixed to the cowl, the brass delivery plate bearing the local Packard agent's name, Von Hamm-Young. Thayer was 67 years of age when he took possession of this Packard convertible and despite petrol rationing during the war years, clocked up 85,000 miles until 1955 when the car went to its second owner. Thayer was a recipient of the 'Silver Buffalo" award which since 1925 has only been presented 718 times, 14 of them to American Presidents. Wade Thayer's veteran's key return tag is still attached to the original Briggs and Stratton keys.

Posted on: 2014/10/21 19:55
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Lloyd Hammond
See User information
Hi Roger,

Thanks for following this up. The car has an interesting history. I was also fairly keen on a late '30's coupe or coupe convertible. There isn't a lot to choose from down here in Oz! I don't really care if it's RHD or LHD, since I'm comfortable driving LHD.

Shannons advertised the car as having vinyl seats, whereas Theodore Bruce say it's leather as per factory. I'm pretty sure it's leather.

The provenance on the vehicle is fascinating. Most lose this info over the years, but it's nice that this vehicle still has its history to go with it.

There's a stunning regatta-blue 1937 Super-8 1501 for sale in the US, but I'm thinking that'll go for about 5 times my budget.

Cheers, Lloyd

Posted on: 2014/10/21 23:31
Lloyd Hammond

Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Munger
See User information
Lloyd,
Good luck on getting that "1099". Looks nice.
As for original upholstery the seat cushions were leather & the remainder of interior a " Leatheret ".
I've had two of them over the years, but no interesting history.
Packard 385

Posted on: 2014/10/23 23:24
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Lloyd Hammond
See User information
Looks nice, but there's some good honest wear and tear.

Hopefully those straight-8's run cooler than the Ford flathead V8's. I'm dealing with one at the moment.

I'm definitely not confident on getting it, but I'm keen. Fingers crossed!

I have to say, I prefer the dashes with the cluster of circular instruments, but besides that, it's hard to fault with respect to styling.

Cheers, Lloyd

Posted on: 2014/10/24 7:19
Lloyd Hammond

Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved