Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
52 user(s) are online (40 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 6
Guests: 46

Oldcaddies , Ross, happy, kevinpackard, Joe, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Desperate for a Solution
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
I have a BIG problem and I really could use some advice from you out there with '55 Packards with Torsion Level systems.

My Clipper is in the shop with what might be a burned-out compensator motor for the self-leveling system. Tomorrow I had planned on driving the car to Lynchburg, VA for a fall tour.

My questions are:

1) If the motor is dead, is there a way to bypass it and raise the back end to a reasonable height so I might drive the car on the tour; or

2) Would something like load-leveler shock absorbers be sufficient to raise the back end as a temporary fix?

Thank you,

Craig

Posted on: 2014/10/22 8:30
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Re: Desperate for a Solution
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I doubt load leveler shocks would do anything, it's rather impossible to wind the planetary gearbox from the output side, it must be rotated from the input. But assuming the motor is "dead" you could remove it and wind the input pinion of the gear box by hand or with an electric drill and some suitable adapter. The gearbox is something in the order of 2500/1 ratio so it will take A LOT of turns. This would allow you to do your tour, assuming your diagnosis of the problem is correct.

But why not first just remove the motor and see if it is really burned out (unlikely), and if so, if it's easily repairable - it's nothing more than a slightly modified generator.

Posted on: 2014/10/22 8:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
Thank you Owen. Your advice is most appreciated.

Posted on: 2014/10/22 8:54
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
ASSUMING the motor is bad and not easily nor quickly repaired try this:

REmove motor.
Use about a 3/8 bolt or other similar shaft that is close to diamter of the shaft of the motor.
Drill the shaft and install a roll pin perpindicular to the shaft.
Place shaft in a drill motor and spin the compensator to what ever level desired.

Footnotes:
I assume the 55 motor uses the same kind of a drive as 56.

I mite also add that u indicate the car is "in the shop".
Has the motor already been removed at the time of your post above???

Posted on: 2014/10/22 9:06
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
trying to turn the compensator by hand or with anykind of hand turning tool will takean extremely long time. It will have to bu turned by a drill motor or some other suitable power equipment.

Posted on: 2014/10/22 9:12
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
Drag Link socket attached to a drill works great for this

Posted on: 2014/10/22 9:33
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
In 40 years of being around these cars I have never seen a burnt up leveler motor. Brushes stuck, commutator dirty, blown fuses etc etc sure. Be sure the shop tries all the simple stuff first.

Posted on: 2014/10/22 13:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
Ross:

You are correct. The motor is not burned out, but there is rust inside of it and contacts are bad. Otherwise it is a perfect candidate for simply rebuilding it.

To all of you who responded, I sincerely thank you for your solid suggestions. The mechanic at the shop determined that the solution was to remove the motor and turn the shaft to adjust the level. He believes it should hold and be OK until I re-install the motor and reactivate the torsion level system. An idea to install air shocks was rejected by all of us.

I think the Clipper should be OK to take down to Lynchburg, but if any of you have doubts, please let me know.

Craig

Posted on: 2014/10/22 15:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't think you will have any problems other than the car may want to take a particular position and will want to stay there. Since it is a kind of teeter totter arrangement if you apply the brakes or accelerate rapidly the car may have one end lower than desired and won't be able to compensate. Of course anything heavy in the trunk will change things. Once you get it stopped at your show you may have to sit on or try to lift one end or the other to kind of help it back into level.

Posted on: 2014/10/22 15:40
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
Thanks HH. This is just s temporary thing. I have the compensator motor out and I will take it to a local electric motor shop for restoration. I will take your sage advice while I am out of town, but I think things will be OK.

Posted on: 2014/10/22 17:26
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved