Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
113 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 112

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1960 ZIL
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

WW400
See User information
Interior

Attach file:

jpg  (43.85 KB)
2316_57cd6817d38ae.jpg 1118X522 px

Posted on: 2016/9/5 7:42
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

jack klat
See User information
Personally, I have always admired these "Soviet Packards". I have seen and have worked on a Gaz-13 "Chaika" and had the opportunity to examine and drive a Zil 111. The differences between the two are like buying an off the rack suit, versus having one tailor made.

The "Chaika" is a well built, but not really a luxurious vehicle. It is more taxi like, in that it is basically built to last several life times. It of course shares Packard influenced styling, and even uses Packard window switches, but cannot be compared to a Packard built automobile. There are items such as the very flimsy grille assembly, which defy logic, but in all, the car is interesting, and to the average American, could pass for a 1950's American car.

The Zil on the other hand was only built for the "creme de la creme" of the Soviet party, no expense spared, and no two exactly alike. The first thing that people fail to realize about Zil cars is that they are truly larger than life. If the designers intent was to intimidate the masses, then they truly succeeded in doing so.

The Zil I had the pleasure of inspecting and driving was a 1960 model, 111. It had acres of high quality chrome plating, and flawless body panels, best of all, it was an original car, never restored or tampered with. It lacked any of the "crudeness" of the the Chaika, and everything fit together perfectly. What amazed me was that the Soviets "borrowed" Packard styling, because in their eyes, Packard was the top of the hill, as far as American cars... not to mention, Stalin loved Packards. Even after his death, the tradition of copying Packard styling carried on.

The Soviets were famous for copying whatever they liked, and looking at the dash panel and steering wheel of a Zil -111, both are very close copies of a 1956 Cadillac Dash. The unit I drove had all of the luxury features, power windows, antenna, seat, steering brakes, divider window, and even A/C. The front seat was very soft black leather, and the rear was of a wool broadcloth type material... very luxurious. This car was also equipped with curtains in the rear windows, as was the fashion for cars of the party elite.

I was allowed to drive the car on the owner's vast estate, and was very impressed with both the power and ride quality. It is strange driving something "so American looking", yet looking down and seeing Cyrillic lettering on everything. Power steering was effortless, as was to be expected in a high end limousine. As the owner of a'56 Cadillac Fleetwood 75, I have to say that the Zil was a better car in all respects.. remember, "cost no object" construction!

Opening the hood of the car, I saw what looked to be a close copy of a Chrysler power brake booster, and similar copies of components from other brands. Like the Chaika, the Zil had radiator shutters to cope with harsh Russian winters. All components were thoughtfully laid out, with ease of access and service in mind.

The rear compartment of the car was very comfortable.. couch like rear seat, perfect stitching and padding. A/C controls for the rear passengers as well as a radio, ash trays and lighters, very similar to my Fleetwood 75.

While some may criticize the "excess" of chrome found on the Zil.. just remember the '58 Buicks and Oldsmobiles. Perhaps the bias is that we choose to judge these cars as "Packards", and in reality, they are something far more special.

Attach file:

jpg  (23.12 KB)
3885_57cdbf0a6eb83.jpg 540X270 px

Posted on: 2016/9/5 14:41
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

WW400
See User information
Caption reads,
The mixed production line at the ZIL Plant; the car is a 111G 6-litre 230 bhp V8 circa 1965; the car was reputed to have a top speed of 106 mph.

Attach file:

jpg  (130.90 KB)
2316_57d1183710ecf.jpg 1036X473 px

Posted on: 2016/9/8 2:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

And once the Packard-inspired styling became passe, turned to "decadent capitalist" Cadillac for its inspiration, specifically 1962.

Personally, the Russian execution looked like one of those lithographed stamped tin toys found at the Five and Dime.

Steve

Attach file:

jpg  (60.10 KB)
409_57d1577f46452.jpg 800X415 px

Posted on: 2016/9/8 7:20
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

WW400
See User information
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f-Or7f6QZFU

the Chaika was
good enough for President Soekarno of Indonesia to drive instead of his Imperials.

Posted on: 2016/11/16 6:25
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved