Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
133 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 132

Jack Vines, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1939 Packard 6 vacuum pump
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

JIMO
See User information
After being unable to solve my fuel supply issues with an electric fuel pump, I am installing the original fuel/vacuum pump after finding out I need the vacuum pump for the wipers. This is probably a dumb question, but the one port on the vacuum pump in marked "in" - does the 'in' port go to the fitting on the intake manifold, or, does it go the wiper motor. dealing with vacuum, I am a little confused on what 'in' is.

Posted on: 2014/10/23 11:09
 Top  Print   

Re: 1939 Packard 6 vacuum pump
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If it is marked as most pumps would be the IN port would go to the wiper. The pump is in series between the wiper motor and manifold so normally the pump valves will let the stronger manifold pull air right thru the pump. Under engine load when the manifold becomes weaker than the pump then the pump valves will start to function. Their configuration blocks the manifold and the now stronger pump will pull air in from the wiper motor and exhaust it out to the manifold.

To verify it is labeled as most are you can manually operate the pump and place your finger over each port. The port with suction would go to the wiper motor.

Posted on: 2014/10/23 11:21
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved