Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
165 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 164

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1940 Super Eight
Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Want to replace the rubber torque arm balls. When I did this over twenty years ago, replaced all other rubber bushing parts, and the front springs at same time. So, as I remember was easy to do. Now keeping the springs and other suspension bushings in place anything I need to know. Maybe just put a jack under the front of the arm and lift the front wheel off the ground a bit? Will this allow me to swing the rear of the torque are either up, down, or sideways, to allow taking off the old one, and putting the new one on.
Another question, just completed some clutch work, all good. Except if I look at the tail of the overdrive it is about a 1/4 inch from center. I think only reason for concern is it is causing the rear rubber, coil spring to lean over to one side. Any adjustment on those rear mounts? Or anything else that might cause that.
Thanks.

Posted on: 2014/10/23 14:44
 Top  Print 

Re: 1940 Super Eight
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don't think there is much adjustment on the coil spring part but I was thinking if the 40 uses the same type trans mounts with slots that bolt into a cross member having the same "V" shaped saddle arrangement the 47 uses, if one side is slightly lower in the saddle the entire engine/trans might be rotated and offset slightly. By the time the error is reflected farther back away from the mounts it might account for 1/4".

Any chance of viewing the bolts to see if they are in the same relative position in the slots? If not maybe loosening the trans mount to saddle bolts almost to the point of being out and then use a jack to relieve the weight. You might be able to pry and rotate the engine/trans over in the saddle slightly to see if that might make a difference.

Posted on: 2014/10/23 15:44
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
the rubber in my torque arm balls is 75 years old and still doing their job. Are the reproductions not lasting very long? Or are you referring to doing the job 20 years ago on a different car?

Posted on: 2014/10/23 15:54
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Same car, used Steele Rubber all around the car, and their rubber is not holding up in all pivot areas. I am slowly replacing all suspension bushings. I want to get a front wheel alignment done, and thought putting in new rubber balls first before alignment. Have had a few alignments done in the past years, but it seems now after a couple hundred miles the front tire treads flare quite a bit and the car follows every groove in the road. Or perhaps just need to rotate tires every couple hundred miles? They are Firestone Bias Ply.

Posted on: 2014/10/24 1:03
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I've helped install full Steele rubber suspension parts on Safe-T-flex suspensions but can't say I've followed up to see how they lasted. But based on my more extensive experience on the T/L cars with Steele rear suspension bushings I can say they don't have much longevity compared to the OEM parts.

Posted on: 2014/10/24 9:22
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Fully agree.

Posted on: 2014/10/24 11:30
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved