Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
107 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 107

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1937 Radiator Mounting Hardware
Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Can someone tell me the order that washers and rubber shims are mounted when re-installing a radiator in a 1937 115 C. I know the large bolt slides in the slot in the radiator but not sure what order the washers and the rubber washer are to be installed. Thank you

Posted on: 2014/10/23 22:38
 Top  Print 

Re: 1937 Radiator Mounting Hardware
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Munger
See User information
Corsa 7,

On my 1937 "120" With the radiator out of the cradle, first a thick piece of felt paper ( similar to floor tpye insulation on later models) goes between bottom tank & cradle ( needs hole for big bolt ) then under the cradle a square or rectangular piece of rubber about 3/16" or 1/4" thick 2or 3 inches sq . Install on the crossmember, then ... a round rubber washer on the underside of crossmenber follow with the thick round washer, finally the castelated nut ( be sure to have the bolt positioned in in cradle slot so as to install cotter pin sidways), otherwise its difficult.
There are a number of holes in bolt , tighten till good and snug ( not real tight) & bolt aligns for cotter.
Should work well.
Packard 385

Posted on: 2014/10/23 23:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Thank you Packard 385 for your help, much appreciated.

Posted on: 2014/10/24 8:00
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
How critical is the cradle height for fender alignment on the 37. On Clipper style bodies with essentially the same cradle arrangement that distance between cradle and frame mount is somewhat important if you want the fender gaps to line up with door edges and have a consistent width.

I notice the illustration of the layout in section 11 of parts manual has the quantity given as X for different thickness rubber washers used under the cradle. It lists them as shims. If you are reusing the original pieces, after all these years I would wonder if the rubber has flattened and if new, I would wonder if the thickness needed had to be reverified.

Posted on: 2014/10/24 9:32
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
That's a good question Howard, I'm not sure exactly what to do, maybe I should try to find stock that is a little thicker that the existing, perhaps the edges may not be as compressed as the center areas, not sure but will check it out this evening. I appreciate your reply.

Posted on: 2014/10/24 10:55
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Cannot remember for sure, but on my 1940 Super, cut out a piece of old tire.

Posted on: 2014/10/24 11:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Old radiator hoses make good stock for thick rubber uses. Or, you can go to a supply house like Granger and order square foot pieces of rubber in various thickness.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/10/24 11:38
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Thank you tolandis !!

Posted on: 2014/10/24 13:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Thank you JW.

Posted on: 2014/10/24 13:28
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved