Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
111 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 109

JW49, CartRich, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Booster Brake Conversion
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Moms 54
See User information
Dual action booster and front disk upgrade

I have been followng past posts on the booster upgrade conversion for some years now, always thinking of changing mine to a dual booster front disk conversion.

With these past existing posts I know of the panther conversion project and with that I feel that a 7" dual booster is just not enough for a panic or hard stop on a 4,500lb. Car.
With more cars and people walking on the road today I am wanting to do and upgraded braking system.

I currently have my motor out and thinking of doing an up high firewall mount with an 11" dual action booster.I can get away with this mount fitting and leaving my air vent intact and having the straight 8 leaving some pedal fabrication and thats ok.

Also with the front disk conversion I do know there are kits out there for a price but, does anyone know of any common domestic autos that can be used weather slightly fabricated or not. I once talked with an old packard guy with his 56 executive that swapped out with a 1970's Ford Bronco with leaving only a slight difference in the king pin to be milled.
I can no longer find him to ask...

I am only doing this swap for one of a few reasons; as our population and clutterness grows everyday around us i feel it is needed for improved stopping, easier access I am not going for any original points on the car but I'd like for it to be around in the family for another 60 years....
Any inputs are welcome....

Posted on: 2014/10/24 21:52
The best are yet to roll
 Top  Print 

Re: Booster Brake Conversion
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I remember seeing the vacuum booster mounted separately from the master cylinder on 55-57 Thunderbirds, and thought this may be something that may be used on a brake conversion. Probably used on other makes and models too.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/10/25 10:45
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

JW wrote:
I remember seeing the vacuum booster mounted separately from the master cylinder on 55-57 Thunderbirds, and thought this may be something that may be used on a brake conversion. Probably used on other makes and models too.

(o{}o)

Problem is finding one. The Bendix Hydrovac was used on lots of cars including Stude and I think the 57-8 Packards. It is a conventional master cylinder instead of that ram affair the BTV used. The regular brakes operate a slave cylinder to activate the power piston and provide the power brakes. If the power fails you still have the regular because the way it is plumbed the slave is essentially part of the main system.

Could be wrong but think the T bird used a similar system mfg by Midland. I believe a version of that system was used until fairly recent times on some trucks and may still be in use today. Might be worth an investigation to see if they are still out there and could be adapted.

There is also a modern booster system sold by some Chevy vendors which is remotely mounted. It follows along the Hydrovac lines in that a slave cylinder commands the vacuum booster. Not sure how the rest of the plumbing is done.

Posted on: 2014/10/25 11:03
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
Studebaker International has new not rebuilt Hydrovac units The down side is only for single system not the dual as used on newer cars for safty

Posted on: 2014/10/25 11:35
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved