Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
90 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 89

Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

wheel locks up when applying brakes
Just popping in
Just popping in

Tom Mlinar
See User information
My 40, 120, If I drive the car everyday, alls fine. But it if sits for 3 or 4 days, when I first start to drive, when I apply the brakes, the left front wheel will lock up or pull to the left. I drive 1/2 a block riding the brake, and it clears up and is fine the rest of the day. Last year, I replaced the master cylinder, flushed all the fluid out with fresh fluid, rebuilt the wheel cylinders, and it stil locks up the first few times I use the brakes. There is no leakage, from the cylinder or the grease/oil seal, all internal parts of the brakes, springs, etc are all in place and nothing broken. Can anybody come up with a possible fix. Thanks Tom Mlinar tmlinar@ymail.com I belong to PAC, and Wisconsin Packard club, and haven't got a fix.

Posted on: 2014/10/24 22:18
 Top  Print   

Re: wheel locks up when applying brakes
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
New lining? What you describe can be characteristic of linings that at one time were saturated with brake fluid for a prior leaking wheel cylinder. In modest cases the lining can be cleaned with solvent and then roughened up with grit, but you have to give the opposite side the same treatment. But more often than not, the answer is placing the linings on both sides.

Posted on: 2014/10/24 22:39
 Top  Print   

Re: wheel locks up when applying brakes
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Sounds like a bad brake hose.

Posted on: 2014/10/25 6:57
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved