Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
135 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 134

39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Runaway Engine
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Just for reference, the '54 Gearstart throttle linkage assembly is different than the non-Greatstart models.

Posted on: 2014/10/29 17:16
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Ross has mentioned rubber bushings or washers on the upper firewall accelerator linkage mount that have frequently self destructed and caused issues. Any chance something there could be binding and not letting the linkage return to fully close the throttle.

I finally got back to the Packard yesterday after other things getting in the way. As it turns out, that may have been what was needed to allow postings like Howard's above as well as Tim, 55packardguy and others. The first thing I noticed was that the accelerator linkage that crosses over the top of the engine was no longer perpendicular to the engine as it now crossed the engine at an angle. I went and got the one that was originally on the car and "borrowed" the one from the '51 Patrician for comparison. The one from the Patrician was different from the other two and perhaps the 9 bearing Senior Body cars have their own - though similar - parts. The original one from my 200 D has the arm further from the firewall than the one I borrowed from the Patrician as well as the one from the parts car. When I re-installed the original, the cross over linkage was once again perpendicular to the engine. Earlier, I had checked on the throttle shaft and it was trying to bind a bit. I straightened that up and put everything back together and crossed my fingers.

The result was SUCCESS ! ! ! This does look to be a very critical piece of work - surprisingly so. I say that as there was no indication from the linkage at all when disconnected from the carb that there was ANY binding at all. Plus, the amount of change is very, very small. However, I can see no other reason for the results. So, not only is that linkage critical from the Ultramatic's point of view, it is at least as critical from the carb as well.

Thank you Howard, Tim, 55packardguy, Jish 'n Jim, Packard Illiterati, Owen and everyone else that helped on this. Sometimes, it's the little things that slow us up.

Posted on: 2014/11/6 21:50
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Good for you! Yes, absolutely the little things that only require figgerin' rather than a big fix are important. If you notice any "slop" in the accelerator, that is, having to press it a little ways before you get any throttle response, check out Ross's tip about putting a shim between the cross shaft and the firewall. I believe this fix solved my throttle response problem.

HH56 mentioned this earlier and here is the quote from Ross:

Quote:
Ross wrote:
Stiff and or sticky accelerator in the 51-54 cars is almost always caused by the bracket on the firewall just above the gas pedal mechanism. Originally it was rubber bushed at its lower end and held the cross shaft a good oh, two inches away from the firewall. Over the 60 years the pressure of the return spring has caused it let the cross shaft fall almost back against the firewall which screws up the geometry and also makes the return spring ineffective.

The easiest and quite effective fix for this is to just shove some old shock absorber bushing or other hunk of rubber between the vertical support and the firewall so that the cross shaft moves well away from the firewall. This will restore the geometry and make for a much smoother gas pedal action. Repair time: approx 30 seconds.

Here is my beautious solution, out of focus, but you get the idea. The piece of rubber is just a "found object" and the hole in it serves no purpose. It was glued to the firewall with RTV when the picture was taken-- didn't work. Duct tape is working for the time being.

Notice the kink in the piece of wiring harness, and the mark on it... that's what was serving as a "stop" for the throttle shaft before. Look where the shaft is now. Quite a difference! The shaft should basically go straight across the block and form a right angle with the longitudinal shaft that goes to the carb. The connection between the two shafts can also be stressed by the out-of-alignment condition, so check that closely, too.

Attach file:

jpg  (96.49 KB)
917_545c3b2441320.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2014/11/6 22:23
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
My 51 had a wooden clothes pin glued there. They used a tar like substance that held great. You can take a set of pliers to the rites on the mount to help firm things up as well.

Posted on: 2014/11/7 19:31
[url=h
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved