Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
107 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 106

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

coolant leak above valve cover
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Hello Gentlemen,
I have a coolant leak that I have tracked to somewhere above the rear valve cover. The leak gets lost somewhere behind the manifold. This is on a newly rebuilt 356 engine that has been warmed up about 5-6 times.
Can a head gasket leak externally? I have not re-torqued the head. Do any of the manifold bolts enter water in the block?
Thanks,
Mark

Posted on: 2014/10/25 19:38
 Top  Print 

Re: coolant leak above valve cover
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Yes to both questions. Retorque would be one of the first things to try. As to studs into the water jacket, the stud leaking was apparently enough of a problem Packard introduced the new rolled thread studs during 21st series production to help with the issue. I would think you could see water around the nuts if any of those studs was the source. You might be able to pin the area down with one of the fluorescent leak detecting kits.

Posted on: 2014/10/25 19:48
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Best practice, always use gasket shellac or Permatex on the threads of any fastener that enters the water jacket, and do your first torque of head studs within 30 minutes of first startup. 2nd torque after a few hours of running, and again after 500 - 1000 miles.

Posted on: 2014/10/25 19:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Thanks guys, this gives me something to work with.

Let's assume it is one of the rear manifold studs. Pretty sure I did not seal the threads when I hung the manifold. Can I seal them one by one without removing the manifold?

Posted on: 2014/10/25 21:11
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Have been thinking exactly what we had a problem with in manifold studs and water jacket. It was a long time ago so I may have to rescind my yes they do and say yes they can.

The more I think about it the problem we had was on one stud and caused by the machinist removing a broken stud and drilling in too far causing the leak. IIRC our issue was more in the center of the engine. The head studs and a couple of water pump bolts definitely go into the jacket but not that sure on the manifold now. I'd still re-torque and get some fluorescent dye before removing anything.

Posted on: 2014/10/25 21:45
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Happy to report that after a head re-torque, the block held 7 lbs of pressure with no leaks for 48hrs. I will follow the suggested tightening schedule. Thanks gents....
Mark

Posted on: 2014/10/29 23:40
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Glad to hear the problem is apparently solved and you got to it before your new headgasket was damaged. I'm curious, on the first re-torque how much did the headbolts turn to reach the torque spec? Just by memory I seem to recall they often took at least 1/8th of a turn, maybe a bit more.

Posted on: 2014/10/30 8:34
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
I was surprised how much some of the bolts turned. Most were pretty tight, a few turned more than 1/8th. Some bolts are not easy to get at with a long torque wrench, so I ended up pulling the plugs for more room.

Posted on: 2014/10/30 12:35
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Also glad it was a simple fix. Maybe your machinist had one of those operation interruptis things and forgot where he left off when he came back to finish.

Posted on: 2014/10/30 12:49
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Mark, just keep in mind that the head gasket is compressible to a certain extent so the next retorque is equally important. Years back when the majority of engines were flathead, a check of the head bolt torque was considered a routine part of a comprehensive tune-up. And so it should still be today.

Posted on: 2014/10/30 13:19
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved