Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
138 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 138

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1953 Packard Clipper 4-Dr
Just popping in
Just popping in

Swifster
See User information
I have a chance at a '53 Clipper 4-Dr. I know these don't bring a lot of money. I think I can get this car for $2000. Original paint, original interior (nice) and all the pieces are there. The trunk is very clean as well. The car looks and is represented as a 55,000 mile car.

It has a small rust hole on the right fender under the body side spear. It needs brakes and tires. The engine runs smooth and quiet, but it started with someone else's battery (yes, it needs a battery). The car is originally from Iowa. All of the chrome castings including the grille and hood ornament are badly pitted.

What is good about these cars and what is bad? What do I need to watch out for? The car has an Ultramatic. How do I tell a good one from a bad one if I can't drive it?

Also, what is part availability like? I admit I'm a bit spoiled buying parts for my '64 Studebaker Daytona.

I'd appreciate any and all help...

Posted on: 2014/10/26 21:49
 Top  Print 

Re: 1953 Packard Clipper 4-Dr
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Swifster,
See you've been a PackardInfo member for some time, but first post so

Can't advise on the good and the bad but, if you do buy the '53 Clipper Sedan, I invite you to include it in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2014/10/27 0:44
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Hi, for $2000.00 that does not sound too bad, if the body is in good shape. Do a lot of looking under the car and ask a lot of question about its up keep in the past. There are better people here that that give you better insight as to what to look for but for me just keep in mind is this for fun or money, because a lot of the time your never get your money back, but they can be a great deal of fun.
Wes

Posted on: 2014/10/27 6:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
These are very pleasant and easy to drive with good ride, handling and visibility. Accel. will be slow off the line but the car will keep up with highway traffic.

All normal mechanical parts are easily obtainable. The chrome will take you directly to the poor house.

Without driving, the best you can do with the Ultramatic is just try each position and see if the trans goes into each gear promptly. The fluid should be red and not stink, but that is hard to check unless the car is on a lift or jackstands as the filler can only be reached from under the car.

Check that the car still has inner rocker panels and that the floor stringers are still welded to them. These disappear in the rust belt.

Posted on: 2014/10/27 6:37
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Paint/Body Work and Interior are the most expensive items on these cars. So if it has a good interior, you are halfway there. Mechanicals are actually the cheapest part of sorting one of these cars.

Take a look a my project blog is it will very similar to the car you are looking at. My car was the opposite, decent mechanicals, but needed two of everything else.

Posted on: 2014/10/28 10:55
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Swifster
See User information
Thanks for the reply guys. I'll definitely go over the car again before diving in.

Posted on: 2014/10/29 19:53
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved