Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
157 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 154

Mechagon, BDeB, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Front License Plate Extenders
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
I know this might seem a bit odd, but I am looking for information about how I might extend my license plate beyond my front bumper so that I can attach club badges without damaging any part of my car. At the fall meet last week, I met a member whose 1955 400 has an license plate extension with a really cool steel rod on top upon which he has attached three badges. As is typical, I forgot to write down the information that he told me about where to acquire these.

In the attached photo, my car on the right show the regular license plate setup, while the 400 on the left and in the inset shows the extension. I am sorry that I could not more detail in this photo, but it should give you the idea.

Attach file:

jpg  (97.15 KB)
5003_544e9f3990682.jpg 1280X978 px

Posted on: 2014/10/27 14:38
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Re: Front License Plate Extenders
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The plate holder bracket I believe just screws into the bottom of the grille crossbar. So a piece metal could be fashioned as an adapter to extend it. A piece of thick aluminium or steel, cut it to the same width as the top of the bracket, and then drill holes in to mount the plate bracket to near the front. Two small bolts with nuts will hold that together. Then drill two more holes in the back of the metal to match up with the holes on the grille crossbar, and use the original screws/bolts to mount that to the crossbar.

So, a piece of metal, a drill, and a couple of bolts/nuts should do it. Just use a thick piece of metal so it doesn't bend from air pressure hitting the license plate during driving. Like a piece of 1/8" plate or so, and paint it and the bolts black. Then it won't be noticed. It's pretty much a 30 min project.

Posted on: 2014/10/31 12:17
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Only modern bars I see for sale on ebay use license plate holes & require a flush plate and bracket or bolt directly into bumper. With the Packard front plate being recessed under the top bar seems it would be hard to mount that type without drilling holes.

I seem to recall seeing a badge bar on a PI projects table some years back. If anyone made one for Packards, they or one of their regions would probably be the likely source. IIRC they used to have some kind of badge awarded for tours or maybe it was shows. They don't have a projects page on their website so maybe a phone call to their headquarters would provide info as to availability or a lead.

If no luck there, then with the regular bracket mounting screws exposed and easily available under the bumper bar, If you didn't want to make something as Kev suggested or can't find anything made, wonder if a regular universal type license plate holder could be used. Several types are on ebay so possibly one of those could be modified and inverted and would bolt using the existing holes.

Posted on: 2014/10/31 13:03
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
The regular front license plate holder fastens to the bottom part of the bottom grille opening. Seems a bracket could be fabricated that would take advantage of those existing holes. I agree, 1/8" aluminum or steel is a good material to use. It could be a fun project to do and share with us.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/11/3 14:01
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jed Sheehan
See User information
I haven't been on the forum in awhile and was surprised today to see a picture of my 400 from the Fall 2014 Old Dominion Packard Club meet. Really nice picture of the front end. Thanks for posting it MrBumble.

What I did was entirely by accident. When I bought my car it didn't have a front license plate holder. I ordered one from Tucson Packard and put it on. It bolts behind the front bumper and is a sort of an s-shaped bracket. I don't know if I installed it backwards, upside down or if it's the wrong bracket, but it sticks out in front of the bumper.

I also wanted to put some club badges on my car and figured the license plate bracket sticking out in front was an obvious solution. I bought a grill bar from Triple-C Auto Accessories and mounted it between the license plate and the bracket. The grill bar has adjustable brackets so it was easy.

I've never checked the bracket on other cars so I don't know if I have the correct bracket or not. But it fit the curve of the bumper perfectly and the bolt holes lined up perfectly. It just sticks out.

Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2015/2/12 17:15
Jed
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved