Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1940 Super Eight Camshaft
Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
I have an otherwise good 1940 356 camshaft, that along the way was ground wrong by a camshaft grinding company. Do they still do camshaft grinding? Can a camshaft be fixed to correct grind? If so how does the person doing the grind what the specs should be? And, am I better off using it as a core and just getting one from a reputable supplier?
Thanks

Posted on: 2014/10/27 20:14
 Top  Print   

Re: 1940 Super Eight Camshaft
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Yes, we still regrind obsolete cams every day. As a general rule, most used cams can only be reground twice if they have light wear, once if really worn, and not at all if the lobes were really flattened by wear.

We have stored data on cam cards and metal masters which were made back when the engines were still in production. They're accurate when used by someone who knows how.

No, not always. Define "ground wrong". That's too general a description to give an opinion as to whether it could be salvaged.

Maybe, if too much stock was removed during the regrind, then it's junk. If you want an expert opinion on yours, send it along and I'll have the expert eye measure it and compare it to the master.

Since used I8 cam cores are not yet unobtanium, if it were my build, I'd find a never-reground core and send it to someone who would grind it correctly.

Who's got a good cam core for Todd and how much should one cost him? Less than shipping his "ground wrong" core for an evaluation? What years and engines will work in his '40 356"?

jack vines

Posted on: 2014/10/28 18:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
The only information I have on my incorrect cam, is it was put in about 25 years ago in one of my engines, after it was sent to a cam grinding company in L.A. at idle the engine had a lope like a drag car, upon acceleration had much power. Taking it to Cal Soest he thought the cam was ground for solid instead of hydraulic lifters.
Thanks so much, if anyone does have a good one for sale?
Best to send of incorrect one to you for evaluation?

Posted on: 2014/10/28 20:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Yes, a solid lifter cam has opening ramps which if used under hydraulic lifters would give an effect similar to what you describe.

If you want to risk the shipping, I can have the cam compared to both the solid and hydraulic masters to determine which regrind you have.

If it's in fact the solid profile, then you could sell it as such and use that toward having a hydraulic regrind made.

jack vines

Posted on: 2014/10/28 23:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
give me your info, and any inspection fees that apply. If it is salvageable we can get into that after you have inspected the camshaft.
Thanks Todd
tolandis@yahoo.com
What do you think of the imported vs. Packard lifters?

Posted on: 2014/10/29 0:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
The 1940 to 1950 356 engine was not offered with solid lifters by Packard, only hydraulic.

The later 288 and 327 engines had the option of either depending on the year but the cam profile may have been different due to the shorter stroke design.

Posted on: 2014/10/29 1:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
And, if anyone has a 356 lifter camshaft for sale? Please let me know. Thanks.

Posted on: 2014/10/29 7:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

saltydog
See User information
I have one. PM me.

Posted on: 2014/10/31 12:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Sent email thanks.

Posted on: 2014/10/31 13:36
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved