Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
75 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 74

DM37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: 1948 22nd Series : Damper to rear sway bar
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Just clarify--and I need to check in the parts book--only the 23d series Eight had the solid rod. My 23d series Super still had the 5th shock.

Further, only the 127" wheelbase cars got a track rod at all in 51-54, and perhaps the Caribbeans. The wider leaf springs used on those cars minimized the need for it, and added much welcomed roll stiffness.

Posted on: 2014/12/19 12:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Just a thought everybody - what if I leave this fifth shock absorber and lateral stabilizer OFF altogether ? What might the consequences be ? Don't forget I'm no boy racer I just want to tootle off to a few Shows each year sedately.

Bet that there's quite a few out there running around quite unaware that they haven't got a 5th Shock absorber !!

Michael

Posted on: 2014/12/19 16:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sloride75
See User information
You can try it, and see how it feels. I would advise against it, though. As mentioned, my bushings had hardened to the point that the bar was nearly useless- I could easily spin the rod with my fingertips. The car was very unstable, even at 30-35 mph. A decent bump in the road would set the rear end of the car wagging. I've previously posted how drastic the improvement was when I fixed the O/D on my car. Replacing those bushings was a similar experience. I hadn't placed too much importance on either item since most of my driving in the car is at low speeds, but the enjoyment and driveability of the car increased significantly, EVEN AT low speeds.

Posted on: 2014/12/19 19:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I had 5th shock replaced on my 1947 Super Clipper by 5 Points in California who also rebuilt the front Delco shocks. It made a difference. I think they merely cut the old shock off the bar and welded on a small shock from a snowmobile or motorcycle but it worked OK and bolted up just fine. If you could locate a small shock absorber approx. the same length as the old one this might be a solution. I also tried driving the car around without it and it certainly seemed less stable. Packard put it there for a good reason and wouldn't have put it on unless they felt it was required so I wouldn't recommend driving without the it.

Posted on: 2014/12/19 20:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Finally found it in the parts book: 23d series Eights and Eight Deluxe had the plain track rod.

I would just buy a nice piece of 3/4" or 5/8" at the ironmongers and have the ends turned down for 3/8" threads. Use grommets at both ends as original. Determine length so that with the car fully on its wheels the bar is not pulling the suspension either left or right.

Posted on: 2014/12/20 7:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
On adding the straight rod to a 22nd series I think you will also have to fabricate some kid of attachment for the rod at the rear axle/spring side. On my car and I think yours may be the same, the straight shock stem is at the frame and long bar end is finished in a tapered and threaded stem at 90 degrees to the bar. The taper slides from the rear into a receiver hole which is part of the axle perch holding the axle to the springs. Maybe a strong L bracket could be made and a bolt could be machined to fit the taper to bolt thru the receiver hole. I'd hate to see the receiver end destroyed in case you or the next owner wanted to remove the straight rod.

I'm thinking the idea of substituting a motorcycle or snowmobile shock for the original might be worth investigating. You could cut the original long bar off at the needed location and the bar modified in such a way with the threaded nut needed for a new shock stem added, that if old shock was ever repaired it could have a bolt or stud welded onto its cut end and then be threaded back onto the long bar.

Posted on: 2014/12/20 9:59
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Thanks Howard

Yesterday I sent all the information collected from this topic to my Restorer with a suggestion we meet tomorrow to discuss what we should do - so these further details you have sent I'll print out and take with me.

Going by the comments on running the car sans the THING (Fifth Shock absorber) we have to come up with a solution and I'll keep everybody informed about what transpires.

Once more thanks go to you and all who contributed to the Topic.

Best regards Michael

Posted on: 2014/12/21 5:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Had the meeting yesterday with my Restorer - don't quite know yet exactly what we will do but the old 5th Shocker has to be removed and somehow we'll put in a small modern shock in its place.

I will post some more info. as we progress and of course some photos. Meanwhile only 2 days to go so HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO ONE AND ALL

Michael

Posted on: 2014/12/23 3:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Well can hardly believe I'm back so soon - this is because I've had an Email from my Restorer this morning and he has come up with the following which sounds good to me and I'm passing it by you all for any comments please : he now thinks that a normal vehicle suspension shock absorber will probably be too strong as they are made to cope with heavy cornering loads, he has worked on cars with a steering box with a steering damper built in to absorb kick back through the steering and has sourced a good second hand Land Rover Discovery steering damper which has a hydraulic shock absorber at one end which has a screwed fitting that will fit to the Packard at one end whilst at the other the small ball joint from the Packard will be removed and replaced with a "Rose" joint to take the modified Discovery damper.

Hope I've described things accurately but attached is a photo to help - any thoughts - ideas - comments or
criticisms please let me have them.

Michael

Attach file:

jpg  (111.19 KB)
1329_54997bfd341c3.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2014/12/23 9:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
A hydraulic "steering damper" may well be an idea worth considering. In the era of solid beam front axles on leaf springs, simple hydraulic steering damper links were common after-market accessories installed for reducing tendencies for wheel shimmy.

Posted on: 2014/12/23 9:55
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved