Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
82 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 82

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1938 Packard 6 Fuel Line Routing
Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Hello,
I attempted to start my 38 Packard 6 last week and when it started fuel was running down the passenger side of the engine. I am unable to determine the origin of the leak. I decided to replace the fuel pump with a new rebuilt unit and still have the same leak. Now I have removed the carburetor and rebuilt it and plan on installing it tonight. I have attached a photo (old fuel pump is in this photo)and would like to know if the fuel and vacuum lines are in the correct position ? Thank you for any advice.
Please note

I have additional photo of the current fuel pump which is the 2nd photo and the connections

After reviewing a couple of things is it correct to say that the 2 top lines should be vacuum only and the lower part of the pump is fuel only ???

Attach file:

jpg  (121.08 KB)
58975_54538c1628dca.jpg 1132X849 px

jpg  (120.08 KB)
58975_5453b10604b96.jpg 1132X849 px

Posted on: 2014/10/31 8:18
 Top  Print   

Re: 1938 Packard 6 Fuel Line Routing
Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Going from memory I think your lines are incorrect. I think it should be

#4 fuel in to pump
#1 fuel out to carb
#2 vacumn from engine
#3 vacumn to wipers

Best to look at a service manual. I know for sure the fuel lines connect to the lower portion of the dual action pump. A lot of pumps were labeled "inlet".

Good luck with your project!

Posted on: 2014/10/31 8:48
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Fuel lines attach to the bottom ports on the fuel pump, vacuum to the top ports.

The line from the tank should attached to bottom port facing the firewall. The fuel line to the carb is correct where it shown right now (bottom port closest to radiator).

Posted on: 2014/10/31 10:54
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Thank you Dallas and Big Kev, I feel a special kind of stupid right now, but I very much appreciate the two of you responding to my post.

Posted on: 2014/10/31 11:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Best to check the positions of the inlets and outlets, often they are marked on the pump or lacking that, just stroke the pump with your finger over the fitting to determine inlet and outlet. The reason I suggest checking is that it is possible to reassemble the pumps with the castings in multiple positions including 180 degrees from original - just takes a couple of seconds to be sure. Most folks who rebuild mark the casting positions before disassembly with a file mark or pin punch to avoid this situation.

Posted on: 2014/10/31 11:13
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Agreed with what Dave said. Very easy to get the pump assembled in the incorrect orientation.

Posted on: 2014/10/31 11:24
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Best to check the positions of the inlets and outlets, often they are marked on the pump or lacking that, just stroke the pump with your finger over the fitting to determine inlet and outlet. The reason I suggest checking is that it is possible to reassemble the pumps with the castings in multiple positions including 180 degrees from original - just takes a couple of seconds to be sure. Most folks who rebuild mark the casting positions before disassembly with a file mark or pin punch to avoid this situation.

Agree on checking 100%. The 47 356 single action pump is opposite with the inlet in front and outlet to carb in rear. As O_D said, there is nothing that would prevent a later pump bottom section from being turned opposite accidentally or on purpose it it was needed to be done. Most of the pumps just have the single bolt holding the bottom bowl on. Make sure the gasket is good on those as well as the cork ring to pump body at the top. Some of the pumps also have bowls with a drain plug in addition to whatever holds the bottom bowl so another source of leaks. You should be able to see if the pump has a drain plug that is leaking but maybe not if it is hidden or pointing toward the engine.

Posted on: 2014/10/31 11:33
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Thank you to all for your advice

Posted on: 2014/10/31 11:43
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved