Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
145 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 142

Todd W. White, Don B, acolds, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

55 Patrician
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

davegnh
See User information
Hi everyone, I just bought this car and don't even have it home yet. The leveling system seems to work on it, I have read about a switch that effects how this system works but don't know if my car has the switch. Did the 55's have the switch? Where would it be located? I will see if I can post some pictures. thanks, Dave

Attach file:

pdf Size: 137.93 KB; Hits: 41

Posted on: 2014/10/31 9:24
 Top  Print   

Re: 55 Patrician
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Nice looking car. The stock 55 will usually have only the small toggle switch at the extreme left of the dash on the bottom edge. Feel under and you should find it between emergency brake and kickpanel. That turns the level system on or off. Typically, I believe on is with lever toward the center of car but there is no locator key so switch could be mounted either way.

There was an optional manual over ride switch introduced in mid 56 which could have been installed in an earlier car if an owner desired. That is located adjacent to the toggle switch with the knob pointing down.. 3 position maintained switch. Center position is normal operation push knob up and it stays to raise the car to the limit and pulling knob down lowers the car to the limit. If you want to stop anywhere in between you have to manually put the switch back to center and turn the toggle switch off to keep car at the desired point.

Many reports of home made manual operation switches installed so if you have anything other than the factory switch described it would be a matter of tracing wires to see how it was done and if there are things to watch out for.

Posted on: 2014/10/31 9:39
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
That is a handsome car, Welcome & tell us more.
Did you find it on Craig's list, privately?
Is it a good runner?

Posted on: 2014/10/31 11:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Dave, Welcome and congratulations on a good looking Patrician. This is a friendly and helpful forum for all Packard owners. G;ad to have you on board.

Posted on: 2014/10/31 11:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Dave

Welcome! You've found the friendliest, most knowledgeable, generous and helpful group of Packard enthusiasts you could hope to! Please stop by frequently and share your experiences and problems for solutions.

What a beautiful '55 Patrician! I'm envious! Love the darker main areas set off by the light soft green. It looks to be a very nice original example, just the best way to find one.

Steve

Posted on: 2014/10/31 18:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Dave,

And when the Pat arrives in your garage don't forget to also park it in our garage here on PackardInfo AKA the Packard Owner's Registry!

Posted on: 2014/11/2 0:01
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

davegnh
See User information
Well, I have the car. It arrived late on Friday. Car was stored for many years and runs well, I will drop the pan over the winter before I run it much more. I have a small coolant leak, not sure where it is coming from at this point, I need to check on it when I have more time. There is a small switch to the left of the column for the leveler, I shut it off for now, until I can look things over more closly. Brakes need to be rebuilt-So, I have plenty to do, now I just need the time to do it. I will post more pictures soon.

Posted on: 2014/11/10 11:01
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

davegnh
See User information
Hi, I plan to check out my coolant leak this weekend. I can't really see where it is coming from, radiator looks dry and the leak is down low. I think it may be the lower hose but won't know for sure until I pull the radiator out and see what I can find. Here is my question, the transmission cooler is in the lower hose, is that a likely spot to leak? Do the coolers typically cause problems? I know, it is 60 years old--I don't see any indication of antifreeze on the transmission dipstick. What should I be looking for? Thanks for any suggestions.

Posted on: 2014/11/14 9:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It's highly unlikely that the leak is internal in the trans oil cooler, the heat exchanger section is stainless and not subject to corrosion damage. Much more likely if the leak is at the cooler is that it's external and one (or both) of the water necks has perforated - this is not uncommon after all these years.

See this thread for a tidy repair:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=14995&forum=10&post_id=152409#forumpost152409

Posted on: 2014/11/14 9:56
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

davegnh
See User information
Owen--Thanks for your suggestion, I plan to take a look tomorrow and see what I find. Dave

Posted on: 2014/11/14 14:45
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved