Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
106 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 105

bertus cardinaal, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Denman 17-7.50 Tires
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Roberto Isola
See User information
Anyone out there put Denman Tires (17-7.50) tires on a 1934 Standard Eight?
Thank you

Posted on: 2014/10/31 14:11
cityvintage@hotmail.com
Purveyors of men's vintage clothing 1900-1960's
 Top  Print 

Re: Denman 17-7.50 Tires
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
As you probably know that's the size for the Twelve which had different rims. You can get them to mount on the Eight/Super Eight wheels with a bit of a struggle; handling will suffer noticeably. When I first bought my 34 Eight it had a pair of 7:50 x 17s and it was a BEAR to drive. They will probably not fit in the fenderwells if you have sidemounts, nor will the metal spare tire covers fit if you have them.

Just curious, why think about ancient Denmans (they were a very good tire in their day) when there are several options out there for new and properly sized 7:00 x 17 tires?

Posted on: 2014/10/31 14:23
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Roberto Isola
See User information
That was exactly my concern, Denman has a nice pattern on there tires, however I can't find Denman 17-7.00 since they don't make them anymore. Lucas Tires only has 17-7.50 left. I need to buy six matching tires for my Packard, I was also looking at the Bedford's. they also have a nice pattern on them. Currenly I have lester's on the car, they just look small in the wheel wells.
Thank you Roberto

Posted on: 2014/11/3 9:50
cityvintage@hotmail.com
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I've had 2 sets of 7:00 x 17 Lesters over the 40,000+ miles I've driven my 34. The whitewall width is a bit wider than the OEM tires were and the tread pattern isn't exactly "of the era" but I've found them to be excellent road tires and for a tour car I'd recommend them highly - they are probably the most common tire on touring Classics 1936 and earlier. My current set is now about 20 years old and due for replacement soon, never a problem with them - not even a flat. The reason I haven't replaced them yet is that it's foolish to replace the tires and not the tubes but 1934 was the last year for metal valve stem tubes and reliable tubes of this type seem to be a problem and I'm too much of a purist to go with rubber valve stems.

I very much like the look of the Bedford Cord tires but have heard not-so-good reports about them for use other than as a show tire. Have you looked at the 7:00 x 17 Firestone mold tire which has been available for some time? There is also a very attractive GoodYear mold tire available but I believe it is not yet available in 7:00 x 17, just 7.50.

You're the first person I can recall ever saying that the Lester 7:00 x 17 looked "small". In rough "eye ball" comparison to an old prewar U.S. Royal Master carcass I have, they pretty match exactly sizewise.

Posted on: 2014/11/3 10:05
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Roberto Isola
See User information
Have you seen the 16"- 650x16 Goodyear Deluxe All Weather 4" WW? Wow its a great looking tire, wish they made it in 17. It reminds me a a Zepplin airship with all its ridges and groves. I saw them on a 1936 Auburn and they looked great. Yes lesters tires do have a larger white wall. The Firestone is another option to consider. I would probably replace the intertubes when I purchase the new tires, just to avoid any issues.
Thank you Roberto

Posted on: 2014/11/3 11:32
cityvintage@hotmail.com
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved