Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
132 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 131

Peter Packard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Help on Fuel System Problem
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tom
See User information
I am looking for a little help. I have a 1946 Packard Deluxe Clipper. The car was stored for about 8 years and the gas tank became full of rust. I had the car with a good mechanic for about a year and he essentially re-built the whole fuel system. Removed the gas tank and had it re-coated. Re-build the carburator, and installed a new airtex E8011 electric fuel pump.

I am been driving the car on short trips for the past few weeks since getting it back and then yesterday it stopped on me. It appeared to not be getting fuel. I was able to get it home by designing a makeshift gravity fed fuel tank to the carburtor using a water bottle. So I know the carburator seems to be working okay.

The clear in-line filter I had after the electric fuel pump was already filled with rust sediment. I can only assume that was from remaining bad gas in the fuel line. I replaced that with a new filter and when I run the electric pump it doesn't seem to be pushing any gas. So now I am guessing that some of the rust also has damaged the electric fuel pump.

My plan is to back to the gas tank and remove the fuel line and work my way through the system to see if I can see what the electric fuel pump is not pushing or the mechnical fuel pump is not pulling gas.

Any other ideas?

Posted on: 2014/10/31 14:31
 Top  Print   

Re: Help on Fuel System Problem
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don't know where your pump might be physically to be clogged from what was in the line but that sounds like a lot of rust in a fairly minimal capacity line. If the pump is toward the rear, I'd really question how the gas tank was cleaned and coated and what substance was used. Even stored with a partial tank of gas a properly coated tank should resist farther rusting. From 8 years ago if the compound used was not alcohol resistant it could cause major problems today by dissolving in modern gas and then clogging components.

On the E-8011 bought today, out of the box there is a filter before the inlet so perhaps that is missing or damaged. If the pump is forward, to have that much rust still in a line and get by the pump to clog a filter after the pump makes me wonder about the condition of the steel line. That line might be what is needing to change..

I would verify the small filter canister is attached to the pump and go from there. Clean or replace that and the line if necessary and maybe even add another larger filter before the pump until the rust is out. Big Kev had to add a larger filter before his pump until his rust particles finally were under control. If there is any rust present in the pump it could clog or ruin it in short order but hopefully it is just a clogged first filter.

Posted on: 2014/10/31 15:05
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
install a new fuel line,

Posted on: 2014/10/31 15:06
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ima48too
See User information
About 15 years ago I bought a nice old car that ran well; even had a new carb, new plugs, ignition, almost anything that could be replaced in a garage. The owner was an older guy who only took short trips and said sometimes it just quit. I bought the car and stopped in his town, filled it up, and headed for home. 40 miles down the road the car stopped and no fuel was at the carb. After a lot of roadside farting around (technical term)I got a 2 gallon can of gas, poured it in and the car started right up. I stopped for gas every 20 miles and got home fine.
We found a rust hole in the fuel pickup tube close to the top where it would have been exposed if the guy was in the habit of running a partial tank of gas or left sit for a long time. I was just lucky to drive the longer distance for the first time in years and connect the dots.

First step, fill 'er up and see if it runs.
Bernie

Posted on: 2014/10/31 15:42
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tom
See User information
Great suggestions. You know the one about putting gas in the car seems obvious but I didn't think of it. My fuel gauge sensor doesn't work, but I had a full tank of gas and have probably only driven about 30 miles on it. So I ruled that out, but if there was a leak like Bernie had, I could be losing gas somewhere. So I will check that and the filter on the electric pump. Then I will see if the fuel pump is pushing gas at least through to the filter

Posted on: 2014/10/31 15:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Good point on the rusted line...Typically the way the line routes inside the tank there are two areas of concern. First spot is uncovered at about a half tank and around a quarter for the second vulnerable spot. Assume you have the original filler cap but if not, make sure the cap is the vented type.

Posted on: 2014/10/31 16:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved