Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
145 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 145

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Oil Pan Gasket 38 6 cyl
Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
When installing oil pan gaskets I usually do not use any sealer but with the multi piece gasket for my 38 6 it looks like it's necessary to use sealer where the gaskets adjoin. What do those of you on this forum recommend.. Thank you

Posted on: 2014/10/31 22:28
 Top  Print 

Re: Oil Pan Gasket 38 6 cyl
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
What has worked best for me is to use gasket paste between the gasket and the pan itself, and just a light wipe with grease on the upper face of the gasket where it meets the engine block. In this way, when you need to drop the pan again you'll probably not damage the gasket.

But before I mount the gasket I'd check the gasket surface on the oil pan for signs of over-tightening in the past which tends to distend or distort the metal surface around the bolt holes. If not attended to first this will almost guarantee failure to seal. Place the pan upside down on a very flat surface to check.

Posted on: 2014/11/1 8:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Is this what the holes in the pan look like after overtightening?

Attach file:

jpg  (75.84 KB)
4217_5534484499624.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2015/4/19 19:29
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes.

Posted on: 2015/4/19 19:39
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
So, after I straighten the holes, would flat washers be adviseable to minimize the dimples in the future?

Posted on: 2015/4/20 17:58
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I don't think so, just don't overtighten. IIRC the bolts are fairly short and wonder if there is even enough length for a flat washer in addition to the lock washer. In any case the lock washer should pull up flat. The technique I've used for years is to use Permatex non-hardening gasket cement to hold the gasket to the pan, and then just wipe the upper gasket surface with grease. That way when I drop the pan again in a couple of years to clean I usually don't have to replace the gasket. I use the same method on valve cover gaskets - works like a charm and never any leakage if done well.

Posted on: 2015/4/20 22:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Thanks OD. Will give it a try.

Posted on: 2015/4/21 1:17
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved