Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
130 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 130

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Buying antique license plates for use in CA
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
'Lo all.

Searching for a pair of 1947 CA license plates and 48 metal 'tag' to register my 48 2255, under California's YOM program.

Wondering if anyone could refer a good source for vintage license plates that won't break the bank?

Seeing sets of these plates both unrestored and restored go for $300-$800 on ePay and that's just over the top frivolous.

Anyone have any good sources they'd share?

Posted on: 2014/11/7 18:25
 Top  Print   

Re: Buying antique license plates for use in CA
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'm Not familiar with cali plates. But is there some reason it has tpo be a 47 plate???? If u're going to put a tag over it anyway then what difference does it make about the year of the plate used???

Posted on: 2014/11/7 20:31
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
V8,
In most states you can use the year of your vehicle's manufacture in lieu of a historical vehicle plate if that is how you choose to register your car. Some states issued plates biannually with a separate tag for the "off" year. So what 49Custom needs is correct for his year in CA. I will need NY 1953 for my car.

Posted on: 2014/11/7 23:34
Stephen
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe Calif changed plate color as well as number formats but there is also overlap when they used the same letter - number sequence on a different series or color plate. One of the caveats if you do find a proper plate is it cannot have the same number sequence still in use if that same format was used on another series plate. Cuts down the possibilities of finding a usable plate immensely.

Posted on: 2014/11/8 0:01
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
Good Luck, those are going for a pretty penny. I have seen a few singles out there and single tags. A pair of tags are going for around $90 but I have not seen any pairs for a while.

Jackson Barret just sold NOS still in the package 47 pair plates for $300, I see total junk going for $300-400.

I think it is great the states let us run the car year plate, I was able to get a nice 56 for mine.

Posted on: 2014/11/8 0:11
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
I have y.o.m. plates in my 39, 40, and 52. I believe it well worth the extra dollars if in good condition, and the seller has already cleared the plates for California. It has been a number of years, but when you do this, you used to have to bring your plates in your hand, along with the vehicle, so they can personally check the vin number, or use an engine number along with the plates before issuing registration. Maybe it is easier now.

Posted on: 2014/11/8 3:47
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ima48too
See User information
Here is a good indicator of what is available:http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=1947+california+license+plate&_sop=15

I have used year of manufacture plates on my cars for years. In New York State some are required to be pairs.

To a license plate collector pairs are not important, just an example suits their needs.
A little patience and shopping should get you a nice one fot under $100.
Bernie

Posted on: 2014/11/8 9:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Unfortunately in New Jersey no year-of-manufacture plate registration allowed - you must buy current "Historic" plates though as of a few years ago (NJ is a 2-plate, front and rear state) you now only have to mount the rear one and can use anything you wish in front.

NJ's historic registration remains a bargain, only a one-time $25 fee with no-cost renewals every 3 years. The downside is they'll issue a Historic registration to almost anything that rolls on wheels, a fiberglass-bodied 39 Willys with big block and not a single part over 2 years old seems to get thru the process -all they ask for is a photo of the vehicle - and you can submit any photo you want and apparently get away with it. But this is NJ, we've come to expect such things.

Posted on: 2014/11/8 10:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Try Gap at Great American Plates

gap@greatamericanplates.com

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/11/8 11:36
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
If you can find a set for $300, BUY THEM! Calif YOM plates are very expensive. Remember we are the largest car market in the world in Calif and probably as well have the largest old car market as well just by shear population and year round driveability. So there is a great demand for these plates, and not a ton of inventory.

A set of good YOM plates that a DMV clear is usually between $500-$1000. The older the year, the more expensive they get. If you find a set of cheap plates, typically they are not "DMV Clear". If that plate number has been reissued to another plates, then that set of plates you just bought is worth nothing more than art, to hang in your garage. Make sure whomever you buy plates from has a guarantee they are DMV Clear.

I just couldn't justify the expense of those plates on my Budget Clipper restore, so I went with regular vanity plates.

Posted on: 2014/11/8 12:16
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved