Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 151

acolds, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Buying antique license plates for use in CA
Home away from home
Home away from home

Chad G
See User information
An interesting topic indeed, how each state deals with this in their own way.

Here in North Carolina, I had to register the '41 through the normal DMV process, and then wait for the inspector to come out and check the car over.

Once the inspector gave his approval to DMV they issued me current plates. We have the option to get historic plates, but of course that costs more. Now the curious part...

As long as I keep the currently registered plate in the vehicle, I can run whatever plates I want (only applies to vehicles over 25 YO). I run a single '41 plate on my car. Unfortunately '39, 40, & '41 are expensive because they used a unique, art deco font. The single plate cost right around a c-note, fully restored, totally worth it.

Posted on: 2014/11/14 18:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
So here's where I am in the process:

Purchased a pair of identical 1948 red-on-aluminum metal 'corners' which CA Year of Manufacture Program requires on BOTH the front and back of the 1947-issue CA plates (yellow plate, black characters) to use on my '48 2255.

I am eyeing a sweet pair of 1947 CA plates with a nice number configuration. The plates are in excellent shape.

I understand that for one to register antique plates to their car, the plates must be "DMV Clear" or in DMV lingo they must "have no record of these plates in our system".

The problem that I foresee is that the owner informed they HAD the plates registered to their own car (but are no longer). Seems like in this case, based on prior registration, there would be a record of these plates in the CA DMV system, and if there is, I WOULD NOT be able to use them.

That is, unless CA allows transfer of Special Interest or YOM Program plates between vehicles. But I cannot find any information online, after lengthy Googling on the subject.

Does anyone have any knowledge, experience or insight? I am trying to avoid a potentially costly mistake. After all my babbling about "$500-$1000 will not happen," what I'm considering would cost me in that range, so I'm trying to be as sure as I can be about what I'd be buying. Though if the seller won't guarantee a return if I'm unable to register my car with his plates, then I will probably pass on them, awesome as they are.

Posted on: 2014/11/16 15:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Why not go down to your local DMV office and have them check the numbers you are considering buying. They can check and let you know if the numbers are valid. Or, get a money back agreement with the vendor.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/11/16 17:48
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Wow, I had to pay $20 to buy a pair of unused, original 1951 Montana plates with the "3" prefix for the county I live in. Found them in an antique store. Cost $35 to get them registered with the DMV. There are some advantages to living in the ice and snow.....

Posted on: 2014/11/16 19:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

JW wrote:
Why not go down to your local DMV office and have them check the numbers you are considering buying. They can check and let you know if the numbers are valid. Or, get a money back agreement with the vendor.

(o{}o)

Fortunately, I obtained DMV clearance beforehand, and I got the seller to agree to refund them if I can't register the car. Golden. Literally.

Posted on: 2014/11/19 18:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

David Grubbs wrote:
Wow, I had to pay $20 to buy a pair of unused, original 1951 Montana plates with the "3" prefix for the county I live in. Found them in an antique store. Cost $35 to get them registered with the DMV. There are some advantages to living in the ice and snow.....

There certainly are, no doubt. When I lived in Iowa, I had plenty of those advantages and life seemed simpler.

But right now, it's 70? in LA.

Think I'll stay here

Posted on: 2014/11/19 18:41
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Just found out about this new "legacy plate" program that Calif is trying. If they can get at least 7500 pre-orders before the end of the year, they are going to start reissuing brand new "Vintage" plates for 50s, 60s, and 70s era vehicles. On top of that, you can order the plates personalized.

More info here:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/legacyplates/index?utm_source=ExactTarget&utm_medium=email&utm_term=&utm_content=&utm_campaign=

Pass it along, currently the 60s "black plate" era one have enough preorders, but the 50s "yellow plate" ones are plates are still a few thousand short of the 7500 to get the state to issue a run.

Posted on: 2014/11/20 11:48
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
Just found out about this new "legacy plate" program that Calif is trying. If they can get at least 7500 pre-orders before the end of the year, they are going to start reissuing brand new "Vintage" plates for 50s, 60s, and 70s era vehicles. On top of that, you can order the plates personalized.

More info here:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/legacyplates/index?utm_source=ExactTarget&utm_medium=email&utm_term=&utm_content=&utm_campaign=

Pass it along, currently the 60s "black plate" era one have enough preorders, but the 50s "yellow plate" ones are plates are still a few thousand short of the 7500 to get the state to issue a run.

To my understanding, they've already received the 7,500 orders needed to replicate the 1963 series black & yellows. But I understand the Legacy plates, while they are black and yellow like the originals are NOT embossed like the original plates, but are digitally printed. That, and I also understand that the Legacy plates will not replicate the originals using only six characters, but will use the now-traditional seven. However, I have not verified this from any authoritative source.

Learning all of this made me lose interest in the program. Digital plates suck, pure and simple: they're supposedly a cost-savings move for states. IMOHOP, they're a cheap-looking imitation knock-off of a real license plate. And I had some of the first ones because Iowa was an early-adopter of the technology. They are made of lightweight, thin aluminum and felt very flimsy.

Posted on: 2014/11/22 17:57
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved