Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
77 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 76

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Color of Switches and Brackets
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Doing some painting - 1948 Deluxe -What color is the - Reverse Lockout Bracket and Switch 2. Kick-down Switch Bracket - 3. Accelerator Switch ? If left natural they will rust - Thanks

Posted on: 2014/11/9 16:27
 Top  Print   

Re: Color of Switches and Brackets
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
I believe that all of the steel portions were cadmium or zinc plated originally.
They definitely have something more than just a natural finish.

Posted on: 2014/11/9 16:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Believe those were all natural color sort of plating I wire brush and then use a clear over the bare metal. I tried acrylic because it was a flatter and less noticeable finish but it doesn't seem to keep moisture out or hold up as well as clear enamel. I used clear epoxy on the 56 years ago and most of those items have held up well. Can't seem to find clear epoxy that readily now -- at least not locally.

There are also some spray on cadmium coatings from Eastwood and others that are supposed to more or less duplicate some of the original plated metal finishes,

Posted on: 2014/11/9 16:57
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Good - I think I will use a metallic aluminum paint on the switches. but are the bracket for reverse lockout switch and bracket for kick-down switch painted black or metallic ? Sorry, just want to get it right if possible - 1948 model Thanks

Posted on: 2014/11/9 17:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
So, are the Brackets black or metallic ? My kick down switch Bracket looks like it might be plated Thanks

Posted on: 2014/11/10 19:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Hi John:

Those parts are not painted (ie: they were metal finish).

I (along with some other notables) did some work on a 48 Custom 8 38 years ago and I used a thin coat of clear (from a spray can) over aluminum paint. The car was not touched for the duration when I last saw it. All of the parts did not rust. I did carefully sand and apply a metal etch.

Unfortunately the car fell upon hard times and was junk the last time I saw it.

I think the owner's diary with pictures of the car being reconditioned ended up in the trash. A shame because the last time I drove it the car was a first class ride. Wonderfully smooth and quiet.

Posted on: 2014/11/10 20:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
My newly redone 48 Overdrive Lockout Switch and Bracket

Attach file:

jpg  (42.31 KB)
4958_5463d759d1ec0.jpg 1280X853 px

jpg  (34.65 KB)
4958_5463d77ee6c6a.jpg 1280X853 px

jpg  (34.34 KB)
4958_5463d79e5015c.jpg 1280X853 px

Posted on: 2014/11/12 16:57
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved