Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
102 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 98

Don B, DM37, Gar, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: V8 pilot bearing
Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Sorry CC55, the bearing is already in. It is a new-old stock part from Kanter and I spent some time cleaning all the OLD grease out in order to re-lube it. As others have found, there is NO cross ref.
Only the outside of the bearing is sealed.

Posted on: 2014/11/16 20:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
Ok thanks. I figured. You did not mention the price.
i guess we all may have different opinions on what is reasonable depending on time requirements. Never say never - as I said before there was a bearing web site which could supply any required specs however I can not find it now and it may have been an over seas co. I am interested if the one jack got is indeed correct and if there is a bushing pressed in the small end or not.

Posted on: 2014/11/16 21:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
BTW was it unsealed both sides or just 1?

Posted on: 2014/11/16 21:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
CC55. In answer to your question from post #30 above:
Yes, it can be added to the V8 x-ref. Just sign in and u can add it yourself.

Now that we can all agree on measure, i have a misc bearing in my collection used across a variety of applications that i will try to measure in a few days.
It is ND 3203 double shielded. Will have to measure it according to Packard specs. However it fits BOTH MF generatorAND clutch pilot MF (actualy it'san HF TO20) early 1950's with COntinental engine. Apparently ND Z 3203 is also used.

Posted on: 2014/11/16 23:03
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
BTW was it unsealed both sides or just 1?

Just guessing, it doesn't need to be a shielded bearing but as there is no means of lubricating it, it must be a sealed bearing, both sides of course.

Someone a few posts above said it was a Marlin Rockwell Corp. 204 s6. Did they perhaps mean 204 SF6? Best to be sure before it is entered it into the parts database.

Posted on: 2014/11/16 23:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
On shielding (seal):
Certainly the bearing needs to be shielded but i'm not sure if it needs to be metal or plastic (probably teflon) shield. My only only concern is heat. or some other reasons of metal v plastic????
However, i am running plastic shielded bearings (one side) on a very high heat m/c application with no problems. And they were bearings originaly intended for 3/4 ton truck rear axle near the brakes.

So metal v plastic shield. Probably makes no difference but i'm not sure.

Posted on: 2014/11/17 7:50
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
i came across the 3203 and the 204 series. Did not match the id. Poss wrong info posted on the web. I ask about the seal because the pics of the NOS bearings I found were un sealed. It would seem to me a new prelubed dbl sealed is best but once pressed into the crank-the back side would not require it if the crank was clean. I assume heat is not an issue here modern neoprene has no issues in newer applications but not sure how much friction(heat) a new un broken in rope seal rear main imparts to this area of the crank and this bearing is spinning only with the clutch depressed. As far as adding to the prt x ref I would not do it unless I had a part in my hand with #s stamped and was sure it fit. Those who have the trans on the bench I would hope would share their experiences.

Posted on: 2014/11/17 8:11
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

d2_willys
See User information
Hey Packard forum members, has anyone tried the following:

[url=http://www.skf.com/group/products/bearings-units-housings/engineered-products/polymer-ball-bearings/polymer-thrust-ball-bearings/index.html?prodid=1640110006&imperial=false]

This is a 1.850 OD x .591 bore x .5 width ball bearing. Only issue might be it is only good up to 500 rpm. Part no. is 51202 V/HR11Q1

BTW: I have a Packard 374 and am going to adapt a dual range hydramatic to it. Does the crankshaft have the 1.840 bore in it. I have not had a chance to look at it in detail. It had the twin ultramatic hooked to it.

Posted on: 2015/1/28 9:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
Unfortunately the suggested interchange will not work, it s a thrust bearing like a king pin bearing. Also it is a polymer (plastic) bearing with no steel components. It is made for low speeds and very low loads and to be used in wet or harsh conditions.

Thanks
James

Posted on: 2015/1/28 13:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Hall
See User information
I believe Timken #204FRK and 204FGB may fit. They are 1.850" OD, .626 ID, .686" wide, double sealed, ball bearings. If the T85 snout is .590", that may be a tad loose though.

Alternatively, Dorman #691-032 oil-lite bushing for a Ford is .851" OD, .671" ID, and .505" wide. It would be easy eough to machine the ID to fit the T85 snout.

Did anyone mic the ID of a Parkard OEM pilot bearing? I am gonna guess it is around .595" to .600".

Thanks

UPDATE 1/29/14: I just noticed the Dorman is .671 instead of .571, so it is obviously not a contender. Dunno what I was thinking.

Posted on: 2015/1/28 19:00
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved