Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
147 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 145

DavidM, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

installing ultramatic trans
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

buddyfromvb
See User information
I have installed the trans and the case is 3/8 inch gap from the engine. the torque converter is fully seated can i pull the case together with bolts or do i need to reseat the converter further back in the transmission?
thank you guys in advance

Posted on: 2014/11/12 16:54
 Top  Print   

Re: installing ultramatic trans
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Ross will probably have some first hand experience and suggestions but offhand I can think of a couple of things. You didn't mention year or say if the converter is tight to the flex plate but that is one place to look. If a 50 or 51, the earlier converters had drain plugs in the front face and had to have a flex plate with access holes drilled accordingly. That could a reason for the gap. Another is if the converter hub or reaction shaft hub has not engaged the splines in the front pump area so converter isn't totally seated in trans.

Posted on: 2014/11/12 17:22
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

buddyfromvb
See User information
sorry it is a 56 clipper and the torque converter is tight to the plate and the threaded rods are through the plate.
the housing is not seated i could try to pull them together with the bolts but im afaraid if the converter is not in correctly i will breack the trans housing. should i pull it apart again and re seat the converter? i removed it to replace the front seal .

Posted on: 2014/11/12 18:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Whoa, that convertor is not seated all the way. The front pump has not engaged. You will just have to keep spinning and pushing until it goes in further.

When installed the convertor should actually have a slight gap to the flex plate and will be pulled forward as you tighten the four nuts.

Posted on: 2014/11/12 18:53
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

buddyfromvb
See User information
thank you Ross that is what i needed to hear

Posted on: 2014/11/12 22:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Turn the drive shaft flange bachwards and forwards while pushing the trans forward. Sometimes have to jiggle the trans up and down or left and rite a little bit too.

Posted on: 2014/11/13 7:52
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Whatever you do, listen to Ross and HH56 and do as they say! They both have diverse experience with Packards.

Also, whatever you do, never try to draw a transmission tight to the engine with the bolts when things are binding. I learned that from a professional mechanic years ago and glad I did before it was too late and got too expensive!

Steve

Posted on: 2014/11/13 8:04
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved