Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
149 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 148

Gary Kulp, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1951 air filter
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
No reason to be concerned about using solvents for the oiled mesh-type filters or those which use a copper or brass mesh. But Tim offers a valid concern, the filter under discussion uses a natural product, kapok (from the kapok tree) and I'd limit myself to gentle solvents like gasoline, kerosene, and related solvents. I find charcoal lighter fluid to be the best - it's essentially odorless and has the same solvency properties as kerosene.

Posted on: 2014/11/15 9:32
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

gregb(peoria, il)
See User information
I finally got the filter apart. There was a cork gasket in there that was really stuck. Got it all cleaned and reinstalled.

Posted on: 2014/11/16 17:52
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Craig Fox
See User information
Hi I just purchased a 1951 model 200 that had been restored about twenty years ago. I am just starting the TLC to get her running properly again. I believe that the engine had been rebuilt into a 327 ci. I noticed that the engine number starts with an H. Does that mean it has hydrolic lifters? Anyway I want to service the air cleaner, and I have not tried too hard to separate the upper and lower halves as I didn't know anything about it until I read these post. thank you very much! I was taught to never force something unless I know for sure that it had to be. Is the screw on the side of the air cleaner to drain out the oil before separation? I don't feel any slosh when I wiggle the air cleaner so I am thinking that there isn't any oil in it now. Should I get a friend to help me pull the halves about? Thanks for any suggestions

Posted on: 2015/1/28 23:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day 8iron,
to PackardInfo and congratulations on your ownership of a '51 200. I invite you to include it in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Regarding your engine number question, I doubt the H suffix indicates hydraulic lifters, Rather, from the Packard Engine Serial Number Reference on this Site, it would indicate it's a '49 or '50 288 or 327, depending on the actual number and neither of which had hydraulics. Concerning the air cleaner, I'll leave that to those more experienced with this year/model but, in the meantime, don't force anything.

Posted on: 2015/1/29 0:09
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Without a picture we don't know which type of air filter you have, it could be either an oiled mesh, or an oil bath. See pictures below. The oiled mesh type does not come apart other than removing the mesh itself to clean and reoil, and the hole on the side may be threaded for a support rod.

Since your engine is from a 23rd series (the "H" prefix) it may or may not have one of the filters shown as these are for 1951/52.

Attach file:

jpg  (132.12 KB)
177_54ca3c34883e0.jpg 595X1000 px

Posted on: 2015/1/29 8:57
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Craig Fox
See User information
My air cleaner is like the one in the upper photo, I guess this is called a vertical air cleaner. There is a mesh screen around the opening that is removable. Other than that it appears sealed. The engine number is H263496 it was rebuilt in 89 and driven maybe 1000 since then. The engine has a tag from the rebuilder stating bore +.40 rods +.10 mains +.10. The receipts show new or rebuild starter, generator, distributator, carb, etc. I traded a 480c Case backhoe for it, and had it shipped down from Eugene Or, to Grass Valley Ca. The carb is gummed up and I had to be towed back from drive to gas station. So I am going to service lube everything before Imtake it out again. Hurray for AAA!

Attach file:

jpg  (99.44 KB)
81442_54cd092d02672.jpg 1280X956 px

Posted on: 2015/1/31 11:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Having trouble looking at the pic, so swung it around.

Attach file:

jpg  (26.39 KB)
226_54cd2aa8a75af.jpg 382X512 px

Posted on: 2015/1/31 14:19
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
8iron, why not just get a modern pleated paper air filter element to replace the mesh one? You should be able to find one at your local auto parts store. Just take the mesh one with you and match it up. Of course, if you want to keep it original/authentic, or enjoy doing period correct servicing, then you will want to service the mesh filter. The pleated paper is a better filter than the mesh, and requires no servicing.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/1/31 15:41
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Craig Fox
See User information
Away From Home, that seems a reasonable idea. I am trying to made it safe and dependable to drive for now without getting too far from the original look. The oiled mesh doesn't seem like much protection for the carb. Is the rest of the air cleaner just to silence the air intake noise?

Posted on: 2015/1/31 17:18
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved